Nosler Brass

LongBomber

I just bought a box of 300rum brass, the price was higher than what I have paid before for remington brass but I thought I would give it a try . Nosler states this brass is trimmed, chamfered, and weight sorted and ready to load out of the box. The brass was all a consistent length and the weights were pretty close, but the case mouths on at least 10 were dinged up, and none of them had been outside chamfered and all had little lips of brass around the outside of the case mouth.

I have had good luck with using nosler bullets for many years, but I was a little disapointed in the finish on thier brass especially for the price. Does anyone else have any experience with thier brass? Is what I found normal for thier brass?

It is normal for mouths to be dinged up a little from shipping and handling. The tiny lip on the outside isnt much to worry about unless youre using a very tight chamber. Nosler brass is about the best I have used for the 300 RUM. The remington brass is OK but the weight variences are bad and primer pockets get loose faster in remmy brass. I am not saying Nolser brass is awesome, just that it is better than the alternative. I have yet to find any excellent brass for the 300 RUM.

The things I did like about the Nosler brass was the weight to weight consistency and the fact that the flash holes are de-burred so that I dont have to do it.

It wasn't really a big deal to give them a quick chamfer, but they are not quite ready to load out of the box as advertised. I also had to run 3 of them thru a sizing die as the case mouth was squished in, I would have thought the box they came in would protect them a little better than the bag rem brass comes in. But I didn't get any reject cases with the nosler brass, I usually get 3-4 rejects in a bag of rem brass.

Wouldn't the little lip on the brass case the case to be slightly off when seating bullets and end up with more bullet runout? I try and keep all my loads to .001 or less runout.

I hope this brass works as well as the rem brass has for me. It seems like the nosler brass gets mixed reviews on forums all the time. It might be a little bit before they get tested as most places I can order from (in canada) seem to be out of the 200gr accubond I usually use.

I bought some 300rum and necked it down for my 7mmrum. It is much better than the rem. I am shooting 180 bergers at 3140fps and so far the primer pockets are holding up. The rem brass 2 loadings at the most and the primer pockets were gone. It may not be as good as norma or lapur both so far it's the best I have found. Dan

I will never spend good money for another piece of nosler brass, IMO its junk, won't handle pressures nearly as well as rem. and will not hold a candle to win. thats my experience with what I purchased. search for FIFTYDRIVER's post on nosler 300 RUM brass his opinion mirrors mine.
RR

I will never spend good money for another piece of nosler brass, IMO its junk, won't handle pressures nearly as well as rem. and will not hold a candle to win. thats my experience with what I purchased. search for FIFTYDRIVER's post on nosler 300 RUM brass his opinion mirrors mine.
RR

+1 on the pressure issue. Wouldn't hold pressure as well as Rem brass. It was pretty, though.

I just bought a box of 300rum brass, the price was higher than what I have paid before for remington brass but I thought I would give it a try . Nosler states this brass is trimmed, chamfered, and weight sorted and ready to load out of the box. The brass was all a consistent length and the weights were pretty close, but the case mouths on at least 10 were dinged up, and none of them had been outside chamfered and all had little lips of brass around the outside of the case mouth.

I have had good luck with using nosler bullets for many years, but I was a little disappointed in the finish on their brass especially for the price. Does anyone else have any experience with their brass? Is what I found normal for their brass?

I am a long time fan of Nosler products but there brass is made buy Federal and I have had
trouble with there brass .

It is true that they weight sort and prepare the Nosler brass but from batch to batch there
weight varies from lot to lot so why pay double for it?

I use the remingtion brass and buy 2 or 300 rounds and prep and weight sort so that I have
a large number of cases that have the same volume.

With the current shortages you can expect more quality problems from a lot of manufactures.

Like Ridgerunner said there has been a lot of discussions on this topic and mixed reviews.

J E CUSTOM

I just opened a box of 7mm brass this weekend. It was in good shape and the neck thickness was much more uniform than either the remmy brass or the winchester brass that I currently own. The case mouth was pretty good but needs a spin or two on the debur/chamfer tool.

We will see how it shoots.

My experience has been the exact opposite. Maybe we each got a bad batch of each brand?????

That's something I haven't heard very often. I've been quite intersted in this brass since it came out and most of what I've heard is that it doesn't hold the pressure as well as Rem brass. There are quite a few posts on lrh.com to that effect. Perhaps their manufacturer has recently changed their recipe? It definitely held better tolerances than Rem otherwise, but I could sort and make the Rem pretty and still handle better pressure at less cost, so ended up going back to Rem. Consider yourself lucky! :)

Nosler brass gets discussed once a month, each and every month on this forum. It seems to be some requirement that is preordained by intergallactic force fields. The discussion never varies although the people who post changes.

Where did you buy the Nosler Brass mate?

I have been looking for this for some time and cant find any here in Australia so I'm looking at buying some abroad.

300RUM

Well the nosler brass I bought wasn't 300 RUM, it was plain vanilla 270 win. loaded with the same fireform load that I used with rem and win, instead of losing 1-2 per 100 due to splits in the shoulder, I was blowing primers, the ones that didn't blow were enlarged beyond use. the other brands took that load in stride!
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.