Nosler 110 AB loads for a .25-06AI

BillR

Need some help quick on this one. I have a chance to go antalope hunting on thursday and I need a starting load for my .25-06 AI using 4831SC and a Nosler 110 AB bullet. I'm using LC Brass thats been fireformed and prepped with a CCI400 Primer. I know the old LC brass is thicker but I have a ton of it lying around and need to use it up.
I have searched everywhere for any info on the Nosler bullet with 4831SC and find nothing. I figured that I could start with a max .25-06 Remington load and probably find my load I need at about 2.5% above that but alas there is no dada I could find even for a .25-06 Remington loading.

You should be able to use any data listed for a 115gr bullet for a starting load for that powder and bullet. Also you could shoot a call to Nosler - 1-800-285-3701, and they should be able to put you even closer to what you need.

Not finding much at all on the 110 AB and looking at Noslers reloading's they show for it I find that the Max loading for Mag Pro is 56 grains. Mag pro is just a bit slower than H4831SC and their loading for IMR 4350 shows 49.5 as a max load which IMR 4350 is a bit faster than H4831. These loads are for a .25-06.
My thinking is this. Given the differances in case capacity and burn rates and Noslers max preasure I should be able to get by with a starting load of about 56 grains. The gun has a tight chamber and a .282 neck and the action blueprinted and squared and should be able to handle a bit more preasure than Nosler is using for max.

BillR, I have not used the Nosler 110 AB in either of my two 25/06AI rifles, but I have done a reasonable amount of testing with both the 100 and 115 BT's, so that does give a reasonable starting point.

In my custom 25/06AI, when using fireformed Remington 25/06 brass, 62.0 grains/H4831sc is about max with the 100 grain BT, and 58.0 grains/H4831sc is max with the 115 grain BT.

If I was to work up a load for the 110 grain Accubond, naturally I would work up from well below max, but it is likely that maximum pressure would occur somewhere in between 58 and 62 grains.

My rifle has a standard chamber (if there is such a thing) and a .291 neck, and it takes about 63.5 grains of H4831sc to fill the case to the bottom of the neck with Remington brass and about 1.0 - 1.5 grains more with Winchester.

Your rifle with a .282 neck and using thicker LC brass is almost certain to reach maximum pressure with less powder than my rifles.

I suggest that you fill your LC cases slowly to the base of the neck with H4831sc to ascertain the usable case capacity, and this will give you a comparison to my figures, and also rough guide as to where your maximum pressure is likely to occur.

As there appears to be little information on a 25/06AI with your chamber configuration, I suggest that with the Nosler 110 grain AB, you start at about 53.0 grains of H4831sc and work up from there. Good luck with you project. Brian.

My case capacity when I fill the case to the bottom of the neck and weigh it works out to 63.5 out of the 5 times I checked it. Kind of suprising given the fact that LC 57 brass is supposed to be thicker than Remington brass. All my brass has been weighed and work out to within 1 grain in weight. Its taken a lot of culling to get enough rounds to do 100 rounds of brass with necks that have less than .001 runout on thickness AND on concentricity of the neck. It really makes the gun shoot though when you get this anal about your case prep though.
This Bob Brackney (sp) built rifle really shoots no matter what I have put in it. Its built to shoot light varmint class and weighs in about 10.5 lbs so little if any recoil.
Your info kind of changed a few thoughts for me. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Thank you Brian. Your info gave me a really good start on a load for this gun. Just enough to get me off and running.
I tried 3 rounds of 56 grains, then 57 grains, then 58 grains,of 4831SC. Still no signs of preasure at all or expansion of the primer pockets. The way its acting I could probably make it to someplace between 59 and 60 grains. I then loaded up 20 rounds of the 58 grain load and headed back out to the range. Took me a few rounds to get it where I wanted with this *** Burris fullfield II but finally got it shooting 1.5 high at 100 yds off a bipod. Group is around .5 and I'm pretty sure with a bit of tweeking it will do about half that.
Seeing as how I'm trying to get ready for an antalope hunt tomarrow I didn't work on the load much more than that.
I then started working on the 12" gong at 300 yds. Too easy. Moved out to the 12" 500 yd gong. Still too easy. The scope will hold a zero but if you try moving it its like it sticks and then moves and moves too much so I'm not using any comeups for differant ranges. Going to have to send it in and have it gone over one of these days. I would like to say this about that bullet though. Man does it buck the wind. I was shooting my Browning B78 with Winchester factory loads of 120 bullets and that was drifting about 10"s at 500 yds. Hold about half the width of the 12" gong to the right and it hits center. Not so with the .25-06AI Hold between the center and the right edge and it was banging right in there next to the center every time. I can't wait to try them at the 1000 yd gong. Not enough time to do more than just get it hitting where it should and load up some more and go hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.