Northwest Custom Projectiles

Got an e-mail back from Northwest Custom Projectiles. My question to them was if they were planning on adapting an aluminum tip to their 180g .308, like they have on their .50 cal bullets. Also that there are a lot of folks here that would be interested in high bc projectiles designed for hunting.

The message that I got back stated that they were planning to have a 180g .308 out soon with an aluminum tip, and that it should run about .720bc.

This looks to be a nice projectile that may not come with a bunch of baggage from the drama dept.:rolleyes:

Would still like to here from anyone here that has experience with these.

Steve

Steve,

Robert is a good guy and great to work with. He even makes the jackets himself. Buy some and try them.

James

We have just about the first of the first of the new lot. We have been shooting them through a 300 weatherby. They really seem to carry in the wind, after getting our 3" high zero @100 yds. We moved out to the 800 yard target, and calculated for the wind and they hit high and right. So we adjusted back the windage to our zero and fired again to see what happens. Perfect inline but at the same height. Our bullet drop chart was gathered using 180 nosler bt. And these new AT bullets are climbing and estimated 18" more or flater however you would like to look at it than the BT. Once adjusted down about 20" we shot 5 with 5 confirmed hits, 3 of the 5 were one gallon milk jugs. Then we went to the 1100 yards and shot at our target which is a decomposed granited rock 24"x28" and after two shots had the clicks down and then fired 5 times with 3 confirmed hits. The winds at the time half way to the target were getting really tough to read. The misses were both just to the left and we had about a 15 mph wind from right to left at mind way. Once this was calculated for we had 3 in a roll hits. I do know that bullet bob said the gun needs to hav a twist of atleast 1-10" Hope this helps, we are going to get some video shortly..

Thank you for the report.

Are these the new ones with the aluminum tip? Did you, or are you going to try and catch one to see terminal performance? Really hoping to see good controlled expansion. These bullets may have to be the next ones to try.

Thanks, Steve

I've done some work/business with Robert at NwCP; great stuff. I was working on my proprietary cartridge a few years ago and asked him to make me up some 85gr and 90gr bonded .224 caliber bullets. They turned out great; very accurate, in my .22 GTO
Robert was very helpful with my project request(s), nice guy, with great products. You won't regret doing business with him

BHW,

May I ask, how much were they? My Uncle lives close to Butte, I may have him go and grab some.

Steve

is Bullet Bob still doing business? He sold me some 750g .510 hpbt a couple years ago. his website leads to china, new website? nice bullets !

Not so honourable and honest as you may think!! A few years ago he was selling (or so he said) jackets, took a deposit
of $1,200 from me, exchanged a few e-mails, excuses were he was waiting on copper.... 3 + years now.

Marshal

I truly appreciate the help, I'm afraid I'll have to chalk it up as lesson learnt.
Thanks, Marshal

Got an e-mail back from Northwest Custom Projectiles. My question to them was if they were planning on adapting an aluminum tip to their 180g .308, like they have on their .50 cal bullets. Also that there are a lot of folks here that would be interested in high bc projectiles designed for hunting.

The message that I got back stated that they were planning to have a 180g .308 out soon with an aluminum tip, and that it should run about .720bc.

This looks to be a nice projectile that may not come with a bunch of baggage from the drama dept.:rolleyes:

Would still like to here from anyone here that has experience with these.

Steve

.720 b.c. in a 180 grain .308.........hmmmmm!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.