north idaho archery for elk

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by sil9mm, Sep 18, 2011.

1. sil9mm

sil9mm Well-Known Member

I'm having a problem getting the bulls to show themselves the last 40 yards. I hunt by myself and can call them in but just not that little bit to get a shot. I've tried both ground and treestand. I've used decoys and scents behind me.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. montanaio17

montanaio17 Well-Known Member

Try calling the opposite way the bull is to make you sound farther away, I sometimes cover the end of the call with a shirt to muffle the sound. Another way my friend uses and does work. When the bull first calls run towards him and get close as u can before you call. This can drive them crazy. I often quit bugling when I locate them and just use cow calls. I hunt north western montana and this works.

3. sil9mm

sil9mm Well-Known Member

Thx. I'll try that

4. spdrman

spdrman Well-Known Member

I hunt elk alot by myself also and have had bulls hang up too, I usually always call facing away from the bull to make it sound a little farther away, another thing if he is responding good to bugles dont be afraid to make a little noise, bulls in the rut dont just stand there and bugle, they are walking thru trees breaking sticks and rubbing there antlers on trees, I ve had alot of bulls hang up just out of range and all it took to set them off was grabbing a stick and rubbing on a tree simulating racking antlers, if they are bugling alot bugle right after you do it, if they aren't talking that much just rack the tree and wait