Norma or Lapua brass for 6.5/284?

G

will be picking up new benchrest 6.5/284 in the next couple weeks.. wanted to know what brass to buy. i have read on various sites that lapua's quality has declined. the chamber will be a tight neck. also wanted to mention i have about 200 cases of .284win all same lot and unfired brass siting in the basement. let me know what you think. thanks for your help

I've shot Norma and Lapua in a couple different rifles. The Norma SEEMED to be marginally more accurate (maybe due to the fact it was neck turned and the Lapua was not) but I find the Lapua to last much longer and it shoots great.

I'd go with the Lapua as well.

FatBoy...

JordanM,
Check with the gunsmith who built the rifle to see what the back end of his reamers measures. The Winchester brass is different (tighter) than the Lapua/Norma stuff. If I remember correctly from fellow competitors who have 6.5-284s a "winchester" chamber is to tight to accept Lapua/Norma spec brass. I can't remember the exact tolerences but is a known issue to be aware of.
I've seen both types shoot very well. It's just a few thousands differnce in thier brass specs to make for an aggrevating time when you can't chamber a round in a brand new chamber with brand new brass and start scratching your head and cursing your 'smith. Just simply match your brass to the chamber that is cut. I could get the actual specs for you if you would like them for future reference.

Steve

I have Win brass that measures .495 at the rear where the lapua is .499-.500

CHances are very good you have the larger chamber, but it would be a good idea to check first as steve mentioned.

JB

Despite my reservations--as i posted with lapua brass awhile back, I went ahead and got some for my new 6.5-284. It was much better thant the 223 and 308 stuff i mentioned before.

no flash hole burr, primer pockets were fairly consistant and weight varied 3gns for 200 rounds.

--You bringing that thing to williamsport??

BTW--bruno's shooters supply had the best price on lapua stuff at 49/100 when i got mine
wink.gif

JB

so you think the lapua will be good? yes i hope to, has the new sinclair f-class aluminum stock too. hope i like it . will keep posted

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.