norma brass

gregw83

I'm looking to start loading for my new 243, and need some good brass. I've considered both norma and lapua for their reputations of being of great quality and consistency. the only problem is that I don't want to spend $100 for 100 lapua cases, seeing as how from what I've heard, 50 would last nearly a life time. norma sells 20 and 25 count boxes, which caught my attention. Does anyone know if norma brass is considered weight sorted? (usually that's just called consistency when your talking about brand new brass I would imagine)

I am not a brass snob, period. I have used more Winchester brass than any other brand and have shot some very small groups with it, and one group with a 243Win that was too small for me to know how to measure it. I think Norma and Lapua make some very, very good brass but I just don't see the need to spend that kind of money on it. Most major manufactured brass that is made is very consistent in weight, even from one lot to another.

$1/piece is the price of used Weatherby brass. :D

100 will probably last you a very long time in either the 243. However, if I had the chance I'd buy the Lapua brass and never regret it.

Of note, I can easily set up 20-30 rounds for just a load workup session. And, once I dial it in I wouldn't mind doing 100 of the same load in the same brass using the same components. I suspect that if you limit yourself to a smaller number you will find yourself running out of loaded rounds more often than you'd like.

I have used both Lapua and Norma brass for many years and have found both to be equally good brass with excellent consistency and case life. I do a lot competitive shooting with a 308. As a result of the brass shortage that has been plagueing us, I started using Winchester brass several months ago. If there is a difference in case life, ES, and accuracy out of my rifles in this caliber, I fail to see it.

Where lapau or Norma stands above all others is consistancy of the neck and body thickness. Hunting rifle and conditions will never show much of a difference, a Benchrest rifle where you are measuring down to the .001" will show the quality of brass being used right away.

To answer your question as far as weight sorted... I just bought a box of 300wsm. Nosler brass. It claims on box that it is weight sorted and fully prepped...chamfered, deburred flash holes and sized... supposedly unless damaged in shipping ready to load. Not recommended using some of the lesser brass.

Greg, I used Lapua for my son's .243. It was prepped very well and with few exceptions weighed out well, thickness consistency was better than most. I use Weatherby brass which is made by Norma for my three Wby rifles. I find the Lapua is tops. I have read somewhere Norma brass is a little softer also. You will be happy with the Lapua. Be safe and good luck.

in developing my newest big bore wildcat I opened up the necks on a bunch of 338 Norma brass all the way up to .510 without a single case loss
I started with new brass and expanded the case necks to .375", .416", 458", .500" and .510" then pushed the shoulders down for neck lengths in .340" to .500" , checking for concentricity in the expanded case necks showed no lumping and thickness, height was uniform,
I expanded case necks on new untouched brass up to .500" on 50 pcs and every single pc came out to the same height at 2.400"... nice and even !

I also did the same with Nosler 338 Lapua brass ( made by Norma) 20 pcs later with zero cass losses,
I was very impressed ... (did not have Lapua made brass )

I can run my .500 cal wildcat on either 338 Norma or 338 Lapua brass ... a darn good thing !
(338 Lapua brass gets cut down and case necks get turned)

the Hornady made 338 Lapua stuff was junk !!!

I have also necked down 50 pcs of 300 Norma Mag down to .264" without a single case loss !
including a half dozen pcs to .257" just to see if it was possible .... sure is !!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.