Norma brass problem

linksmechanic

I bought 20 norma cases for my 7rm and the primer pockets seem to be too tight. Anybody experienced this problem? I have a uniformer but that doesn't solve anything. This is the first time I've used norma and so far I'm not that impressed. There's no prep done to the mouths and nothing is trimmed. Previously I used nosler which was excellent contrary to what some say.

I bought 20 norma cases for my 7rm and the primer pockets seem to be too tight. Anybody experienced this problem? I have a uniformer but that doesn't solve anything. This is the first time I've used norma and so far I'm not that impressed. There's no prep done to the mouths and nothing is trimmed. Previously I used nosler which was excellent contrary to what some say.

primer pocket's too tight , sounds like blasphemy!!!!!!!!
If you think Norma primer pockets are tight you have never tried Lapua.
Try Federal or Winchester primers they are a bit softer for the first loading dont even think about CCI unless you are wearing safety glasses and have the "Vulcan death grip".
The primer pockets will loosen up after the initial firing.
UB

No. I have been useing them since 1972 and never had one to blow. I have even gotten them in sideways and even backwards.

That doesn't mean it can't happen, just that it hasn't happened to me.

I use winchester primers as they are a good primer and seat well in both nolser and lapua brass, never boguht Norma for anything harder to find than the other 2.

A guy did a semi scientific test on primers soaked in water and wd-40 and dry and he had the best firing results after a soaking in both water and wd-40 with the winchesters and CCI's, federal failed the worst for the wet test for what that is worth?

The wet test doesn't concern me as I waterproof my ammo. What does concern me is group size and es. For my caliber, Lapua doesn't make brass. Also I get more case life out of Norma than Lapua on other calibers contrary to what others say.

FWIW---that is pretty normal for both Lapua and Norma. After a firing or 2 you will be glad you bought Norma because the pockets will remin snug longer than the American stuff.

I bought 200 norma .308win cases ages ago because i could get Lapua at the time. I was using CCI BR2 primers and didn't have a problem with the pockets being tight however the brass was quite soft and would show high pressure signs pushing 155gr Lapua Scenars at ~2550fps, i don't think i loaded any of them past four loading before accuracy went to crap.

I would never buy Norma again, Lapua is cheaper, better quality, and lasts a lot longer.

I have a couple hundred "Norma" cases in .338LM and use "Federal" Match Primers.
No problems or concerns, does require some additional effort, nothing like you are describing.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.