Norma and Lapua brass

remingtonman_25_06

I was just wondering how much improvement in accuracy at long range is achieved using Norma or Lapua brass. I have been thinking of buying 100 of the Normas but they are a little over $1 a piece. I could buy 200 Winchester cases and sort them out and still come out with probly at least 100 good cases and still save money. I have always just used Remington Nickel brass because I like nickel. Never really thought about the brand much. But I have found that all the LR hunters, 1000 yard and target/benchrest people use Norma or Lapua brass. I also seen the Sierra manual where the guy preaches about "brass is which accuracy flows" or something to that sorts. I would only be shooting out to 800 yards for practice, and my limit on deer size is 600 yards. I shot 800 yards 1 time, 3 shots and they were all in a vertical line 13 inches, about 4 inches apart from each hole. That sucks and discouraged me from shooting that far anymore. I was wondering if brass had anything to do with it and if Norma will help that? I'm not to sure, but I want to start shooting 800 yards a lot more and I want to look for better groups than 12-13 inches and hope for them not to be in a vertical line. So maybe Norma brass since its a lot better and all the LR shooters use it, it might help a little is all im thinking. Thanks in advance.

You've already decided you're going to have the Norma or Lapua brass at some point...why put it off now and try the lesser Winchester or other types. If you're willing to settle for lesser quality you're going to have a little trouble achieving the best results. Suck it up and buy the good stuff...Your rifle will thank you, your confidence will thanks you and you'll be happy... (except that you'll be thinking that the Winchester brass might have been just as good...perish the thought.)

Just Do It (or however it goes).

[ 07-09-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

What Dave said.

Run them through your measuring tools,...you will know why you paid for them.

One group at 800 is not going to tell you everything. However, it did show you that you could easily have a problem with powder, light conditions (clouds overhead) or neck tension, all of which will give the vertical. But more testing is required.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.