Norma 130 gr. 6.5mm VLD

cfvickers

Anybody used it? I was looking and I saw where they list a .610 BC looking at the fact the length is the same as the 140 Berger at 1.389, that woud have to equate to a shorter bearing surface than the 130 Berger. Shorter bearing surface SHOULD, by my reasoning, mean lower pressure with an equal load to what I am using with the Berger, and I got more room for powder already along with plenty of extra length in my magazine for OAL. So I should be able to get a little more velocity out of it to boot. All this is speculation, also with a 1:8 twist I should be able to work with it.

So has anyone tried it on a white tailed deer? I know it isn't a significantly tough animal, and most of the shots I take are rib cage. Also I won't be using it till next season for hunting. I am running low on 130 Bergers and need new brass. I found 500 packs of these for 140 bucks +- a few, could save me some money in the long run if they would work, and being that I am going to have to recheck my loads anyway with the new brass, seems like if I am going to make a change, now would be a good time. The 500 would pretty much last me till the end of my barrel's normal lifespan, and put me right over 1100 rounds provided I don't use any for the 6.5x55's I lean more toward FB bullets for the SBS and have not decided whether to rebarrel the 98 mauser or keep it as a 6.5x55 even if I do. So most of the will be used in them 111LRH I suspect as the 130 grain bullets make a perfect everything round in that rifle, I can get sufficient velocity and accuracy for varmints, good BC for target shooting and when I hunt fields for deer. And I am not selling pelts so damage isn't an issue.

I have shot thousands of 130gr Norma VLDs. And a few 130gr Bergers,

The Norma 130 is an excellent target bullet, normally giving excellent accuracy in most 6.5x55 rifles. Som 260s have problems with them, it may be rifling twist. I have also had som dissappear on me enroute to the 1km target.

I get more velocity from the Berger with equal charge. The Norma is reputed to be totally useless on game. I have only used it on small game, and i works nicely for that.

Of those that have used it on larger small game most report it zips trough making a pencil hole throughout. To my experience, (capercaille, goose, cormorant, ducks), this is correct, but it is limited. The Bergers, and the Amax are anyways much more suited for game killing.
I have never heard of one expanding, and it is a very common bullet here.

The BC is around .560 (G1), according to Litz, and according to me it will fly just about the same as the 139 Scenar given the same velocity, The 140 Amax also have a very similar BC. You can push the 130s a little faster >3kfps if you really want, in the 6.5x55, and it will fly alittle flatter.

K

I have shot thousands of 130gr Norma VLDs. And a few 130gr Bergers,

The Norma 130 is an excellent target bullet, normally giving excellent accuracy in most 6.5x55 rifles. Som 260s have problems with them, it may be rifling twist. I have also had som dissappear on me enroute to the 1km target.

I get more velocity from the Berger with equal charge. The Norma is reputed to be totally useless on game. I have only used it on small game, and i works nicely for that.

Of those that have used it on larger small game most report it zips trough making a pencil hole throughout. To my experience, (capercaille, goose, cormorant, ducks), this is correct, but it is limited. The Bergers, and the Amax are anyways much more suited for game killing.
I have never heard of one expanding, and it is a very common bullet here.

The BC is around .560 (G1), according to Litz, and according to me it will fly just about the same as the 139 Scenar given the same velocity, The 140 Amax also have a very similar BC. You can push the 130s a little faster >3kfps if you really want, in the 6.5x55, and it will fly alittle flatter.

K

Thanks a lot, I knew someone here could give me more details on it. I guess I will stick with the Berger. I want something specifically for a 6.5-284 but secondary use would be in my 6.5x55s, I have three of those. If it will not expand at all I have little use for it. I get right at 3200 fps from the Berger 130 in that 6.5-284 and would not be happy if I could get at least close to that from a similar bullet. It sounds like it has a thicker jacket than the berger and otherwise similar dimensions. I appreciate your input, you probably just saved me some money and some disappointment. THe Issue with the .260 is likely the twist rate as most of them (not custom) have a 1:9" twist and they would likely have problems with a bullet that long. my 6.5-284 has a 1:8" twist and my 6.5x55's are all european makes and have a faster twist than that. (1:7-1:7.66)

(1:7-1:7.66)
European 6.5x55s have 3 twist rates.
Sauer and Blaser have 1:8 2/3", 220mm, this is the CIP norm
Heym have 225mm per turn and S&L use 205mm, 1:8"

They all shoot all commonly available 6.5mm bullets quite nicely to >600m, even in the cold of Norwegian winter. The Lapua 7g Scenar is the only bullet i know several people have had severe accuracy problems with, in 6.5x55.

"Feltskyting", field rifle shooting is a rather common sport in rural Norway, and it is played with Sauer 200STRs in 6.5x55 during winter. Rapid, tactical-like shooting at unknown distances to about 600m.

The 260s have struggled at the 140gr Amax, and some with the Swift Scirocco, arriving with large yaw angles at 500m.

K

I have a steyr and it is well under 8, the importer (GSI Inc.) told me 7. something. the two swedes (one 38, and one swedish barrel mounted on a Turk 98 Mauser) I have both measure around 7.5. I guess this is why I assumed that the European 6.5s all had faster twist rates.

the two swedes (one 38, and one swedish barrel mounted on a Turk 98 Mauser) I have both measure around 7.5
Ah, yes the original Swedes are 7.5, i forgot that since they are as rare as a hens teeth here, in fact i think i have not seen one outside collections.

Sako and the new Tikkas use 1:8", i dont know about the older Tikkas, before Sako took them over.
The Steyr catalogue Steyr Mannlicher US: Rate of Twist Information says 1:8" btw.
Anyways, i have never seen a 6.5x55 shoot really bad, and 140-155gr bullets are the norm for hunting here, since <140 is prohibited on large game.

This would mean that the slower Sauer twist of 8.66 is adequate for everything.

I saw you quoted a BC for the 130 Norma. We do shoot a lot of 6.5mm here and the general understanding is that the BC and long range performance of all the 130-140 match bullets is very similar. Most people will give 140 Berger VLD as well as the 130 VLD a lot of good words, and among the economic alternatives (Berger bullets cost twice as much as anything else), the 140gr Amax is generally thought of as having the highest BC, and the Amax, along with Scenar and Berger as most accurate.
Scenar and Norma VLD ar no-nos for hunting according to most, even though a friend of mine took a moose with a 250gr 338 Scenar, it did not expand. Lots of people hunt roe deer with 140gr Amax.

The 6.5x55 is intended to be a long cartridge, typical COL is 77.5-80mm, and i have never had a 6.5x55 tube that could seat match bullets on the lands, still the Sauers and the Sako/Tikkas, are consistent sub 1/2 moa (and less) performers.
The optimum bullet for punching paper @ 100m, is considered by most to be the 100gr Sierra HP, my Sauer can shoot these almost to benchrest standards - with the bullet a half inch from the lands

K

From what i have heard about this bullet seems like it zips right through game. I couldnt pass up the price on 500 of them so i ordered them for my 6.5-284 and i will be doing some expansion testing this summer spring. I want to try them with the factory meaplat and i want to trim them just a bit to make the tip a bit larger and see if it make a difference. I will be sure to post my results on with pics of the expansion and penetration.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.