Noob scope adjustment question

Tater1985

I have a Leupold VX-3 with CDS dial on my 300WM Encore. I just started load development and am working up to a max charge with 180gr Accubonds over H1000. I started at a 74gr charge and am working up to 80gr possibly 81gr. I notice something happen on two occasions.

I had the gun hitting close with Nosler Trophy Grade 180gr AB factory ammo. Tried my first charge weight of 74gr and hit about 7-8" low at 200yds. So I moved my scope up the proper amount of clicks and moved to my 75gr charges. The first shot hit about 3-4" low, and the next two were about right on.

Moving to the 76gr charges, they shot a bit higher, but all nearly the same elevation. Figuring the 77gr charges would climb a little bit further, I moved my scope down 4 clicks to keep it close to the center.

When I shot the 77gr charges, my first shot was about 3-4" lower than the 2nd and 3rd shots, which were nearly the same elevation. It seems to me like the reticle is settling downward on the first shot after adjustments. So, I'm wondering:

Is this typical?

Is there a way to mitigate it?

If I do need to take a 400yd shot and I dial my turret, I would like to know where that bullet is going to hit. I have noticed on some long range shooting shows I have occasionally seen guys dial their scope and go a few clicks past and then come back? Is this for both directions or just one? Should I be doing this? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

I usually shoot a whole group and then make scope changes . Trying to anticipate shot placement will make a babbling fool of the best rifleman.
Also sounds to me like you might /maybe have scope mounting problem.
Anyway shoot at least 3 shots before you make adjustments.
And it's hard to assume that more powder will cause bullet rise. It might but it might not.

All adjustments were made following a 3 shot group. Im saying the first shot in the next 3 shoot group was 3-4" low of the 2nd and 3rd shots in that group.

If you are saying you shoot a 3 shot group and then make an adjustment, then the first shot in your next shot group is a few inches off then you may very well have a scope issue. However, if you are testing loads that means you have no idea how your rifle is grouping each different loads. I think this is probably your problem. Your rifle has the potential to shoot every different load to a different point of impact compared to your point of aim, and every load you try can change the group sizes (even small little changes in the load).
What I would do is check to make sure the scope it mounted correctly and nothing is loose. Then stop trying to chase a bullseye when testing loads; you aren't trying to zero, you are trying to find a load your rifle likes. You are guessing where a different unproven load will impact, and so you are chasing your tail.
If it makes you feel better then when you make an adjustment to your turrets-over adjust and then bring it back. I was taught to do this several years ago with the Leupold Ultra and MK4 scopes to ensure they actually made the adjustment. It is still in our training doctrine to do this with some scopes, at least Army wise. I do it anyways out of habit.
If you are still having problems then try to mount a scope with a proven track record, if the groups are still not to your liking then it's the rifle (or at least rifle/ammo combo).
I also don't know how many rounds the barrel has had since a good cleaning. I don't usually clean my barrels until the rifle tells me too, but I would strip all the fouling down to bare metal and start there. I would then fire some rounds down it to foul it before shooting for groups. This could be done while I'm trying to find the max powder charge I would want to use, your load development technique may be different.
Could there be a flinch involved as well?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.