Non tactical hunting scope under 2000 dollars

Erik Kiser

My boss is looking to top his new rifle with a nice scope and his budget can be as high as 2000 dollars. He's gonna want new and is not looking to dial turrets so a low profile turret is much preferred. What he is looking for is great glass. Variable power with the low side being 2-3 and the high side in the 14 range, give or take. What's out there that fills the bill?

My boss is looking to top his new rifle with a nice scope and his budget can be as high as 2000 dollars. He's gonna want new and is not looking to dial turrets so a low profile turret is much preferred. What he is looking for is great glass. Variable power with the low side being 2-3 and the high side in the 14 range, give or take. What's out there that fills the bill?

What caliber of rifle? At what distance does he plan to shoot? Is this a hunting rifle or a target rifle? Is it a bolt action, lever action or AR style rifle? Does he want it to match his designer camo and boots? Get him a catalog or go to Cabela's to find what looks nice.

DocB

Attachments

• absehen-a9.jpg
    absehen-a9.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 153
If he wants to eliminate most LIGHT conditions that would cause a shoot or no shoot choice in the first 30min or the last 30min of legal shooting time he should add $600 more and get the one I did in 2010, for $2,228. All I have to do is know Temp & Altitude then my drop chart tells me what "Optimum Power Setting" to use then ALL my X hairs will be on zero, next range target to see which X hair to use.
The below price is $2,599.99 but every thing is up. If he does not want to go up $600 he can go down $1,000 and use the Zeiss $999 version and the process should be the same.gun)

Zeiss Victory Diavari 4-16x50 Rapid-Z 800 Scope 5217779972

Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X50 RZ800 Scope 522621-9982-000

When I get out of the veh I set my scope to the "Optimum Power Setting" and I can fire as soon as target is identified and ranged.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Zeiss-rz800-reticle.jpg

Zero at 200 Yds. this is what a rapid Z 800 looks like. In scopes you get what you pay for if you test them side by side, at dark thirty, and buy OLD vendor. If he will be shooting over 800 yds. a lot, I would go with a dial up. I wanted something to be able to shoot within a few seconds at 50 to 800 Yds.

I found the Swarovski z6 to have same quality glass for MY EYES as did the Zeiss Victory Diavari. 2010 they were same price!gun)

Thanks guys. He won't be shooting much over 200-300 yards. He just wants the best glass he can get for the money for low light conditions and to see what he's shooting at. Thanks again

I've never had the pleasure of looking through an S&B, but the Swarovski's sure are sharp. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.