Non mag Elk gun?

Kaboom

I'm posing this for a friend how wants a Elk/Bear gun. Most likely 300 yrd max. Here's the problem, he has some neck issues so he's wanting to keep recoil to a min. I'm a overkill guy when it comes to guns so thought I'd through this out there for disscusion. Would like to keep this to people who actually have Elk hunted with the guns they are going to recomend.
Thanks!

I do most of my hunting especially elk with my 300 win. A couple of my family members use 30-06 with good success. Just load it with a good bullet and shoot strait and I think it would work well for your friend. I have also seen a cow elk shot and killed with a 243 win but that is in my opinion a very gun to use. That is just my thoughts but I do think that over kill is underrated.

If he has that problem and you're talking 300 yards max, I'd go with a 30-06 or .308 with whatever 180 grain bonded bullet the rifle he buys shoots best.

Like others are saying the 06 with a good bullet right load whack's them out to 700 yards with authority. It's what I use. Fairly light recoil pleasure to shoot.

OK neck problems. Light recoil. Maximum 300-400 yds. First choice is a 7mm 08. Wide range of bullets with VERY light recoil. 160-168 grain bullets will do a great job. A friend has one. He uses 140 gr bullets and has been very impressed with how well it kills deer. I shot it spotlighting for jackrabbits. recoil seemed almost non-existant....
Next choice is probably a .308. Great versatility. Will do everything he needs it to. Easy to find ammo.
3rd choice is a 6.5 of some sort. 6.5X47, .260, 6.5X284... I have a 6.5X06. Light recoil and great accuracy. Load w/ a 130-140 grain bullet. Works very well. In my mind the 7mm 08 is the best of the best for a situation like this. Bruce

Neck injuries come in as many variations as rifles do calibers. I've got one fusion, one blown disc that needs fusing and arthritis in the rest. I'd go with a braked 30-06 in as straight a stock as I could find. An adjustable cheekpiece like Mcmillans A3-5 might be better. Rifle weight can be a friend recoil wise, but if he's lost upper body strength, lighter may me give him more control. Here about a month ago i took a .223 on on of our rock shoots and finished the day with headache from trying to get, and maintain a decent cheek weld from a variety of field positions. I have a 338 RUM kind of got started right before my neck went to hell. Dropping bullet weight to the 180's makes it much more shootable for practice, then switch if need be for a hunting load. I've got a Mcmillan, Lazzeroni thumbhole on the way for the reasons stated above. I'm hoping the thumbhole will help with grip. The standard Winchester Model 70 pre-64 stock has never suited me anyway. My 2 cents would be more emphasis on the whole package then talk calibers.

300 win, 210, 215 or 230 Berger. Sendero contour barrel with a JP tactical compensator brake. Should come in about 11 to 12 lbs field ready. I have lost count how many elk we have taken with one. Cows to large bulls, 100 yards to 1000. Beginners 12 yrs of age to 80 yr old men, also small framed women that don't shoot much. Never a recoil problem.

Jeff

300 win, 210, 215 or 230 Berger. Sendero contour barrel with a JP tactical compensator brake. Should come in about 11 to 12 lbs field ready. I have lost count how many elk we have taken with one. Cows to large bulls, 100 yards to 1000. Beginners 12 yrs of age to 80 yr old men, also small framed women that don't shoot much. Never a recoil problem.

Jeff

Nuff Said!

Smallest calibre I have shot or seen elk shot with was a .260 and a 6.5x55 both loaded with 130gr Accubonds. One of my mentors who has shot more elk then I ever will in my life uses his 7mm-08 almost exclusively now. Loads it with 140gr Barnes. He used to be and still some degree a magnum shooter. I shot a few bulls with my trusty BLR in .308 and my long time hunting partner for almost 20 years only used his 30-06.

If your are keeping shots under 300 you have lots of options.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.