nomenclature of cartridges

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniper2, Feb 10, 2005.

1. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

What is the most degrees you can give a shoulder??

2. 5Redman8

5Redman8 Well-Known Member

I would think 90deg.....not saying it would work....but you COULD?????

Kyle

3. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

You will find that anything over 40 degrees is pretty well useless and VERY touchy with sizing. If you take a case with say a 50 degree shoulder, it could collapse the case just seating your bullet if the dies and chamber of the dies are not set up exactly perfect.
    A friend of mine got talked into a 300 WSM improved 50 degree about 2 years ago. He cusses it every time he reloads it. But he loves to shoot it, at least, when the ammo will fit back into the chamber!

I have had several 40 degree wildcats, and they work fine. However, I think 35 degrees is just about perfect for most applications.

4. sniper2

I am thinking about building a cartridge with a 45 degree
    shoulder on an unbelted mag case. Would it make a difference if you used collet dies for working the cases?

5. Yorkplates

Yorkplates Well-Known Member

Ackley looks to be pushing the limit. I think the 6mm Ackley is 40 degrees.

6. sniper2

I don't know if he pushed the limit or not I'm going to see.
    All of the Ackley calibers I have heard of are 40 degrees.I have the 6/06 A.I. and think 5 degrees more shouldn't be that critical, i believe it will be more effecient especially in a large case.

7. Yorkplates

Yorkplates Well-Known Member

Let us know. Take a picture too. I want to see it.

8. thocon

thocon Well-Known Member

It would seam if the neck wants to crush,maybee,acompressed load would help by pushing out.Or i would make a expander a little larger,so all that pressure wouldn't have to be used. Once you solve the problem,all the fun is over!

9. Tailgunner

Tailgunner Active Member

416 Rigby brass has a 45deg shoulder, and it's very difficult to not bulge the shoulder/body junction when seating a bullet. YMMV

10. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

I agree with the guys here - 40 is max and 35 is probably ideal.
    A compressed load wouldn't help hold the shoulder- it would be compressed even more by the shoulder collapsing- been there, done that.
    The main point is how much improvement do you gain (ie 5%) for how much reloading headache you also gain(ie 10%)- ain't worth the hassle.

11. sniper2

Chris have you tried 45 degree on rum case?

12. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

No I haven't. Sorry, just haven't had the need to. If I want more than a RUM then I would go up a cartridge instead of trying to play design engineer which I ain't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I leave the case designing to the guys with the PhDs and all those other fancy degrees. My point is there is a reason why Ackley stoppped at 40- anything past just didn't gain anything. If it was so great everybody would be doing it but as others have said here 35 to 40 is about ideal/max.

13. sniper2

Thank you for your opinion.I am no design engineer but that will not stop me from trying new ideas.

14. thocon

thocon Well-Known Member

Hay Snipe you get my mail,?Mine crappted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif