No recoil pad on HS Precision???

Waffen

Is there any reason why you couldn't have an aftermarket recoil pad put in place of the Decelerator on a HS Precision stock? I just got back from the gunsmith and he informed me that it would be impossible due to the way they make HS Precision stocks. He then took the stock and tapped it with his hand for whatever reason, and said it certianly was not possible. Any reason for this?

If it helps it's just a factory sendero stock.

Impossible= Outside the skills of the person uttering the word. A competent smith can custom fit a pad to your gun. The HS precision is a great stock that can be modified without too much trouble. Good luck.

After I bought my Rem 700PSS I called H.S. Precision to ask them the same question. The service rep told me that the pad is epoxied on that if you scored around the pad with a knife and then placed your stock in the freezer for a little while you could place the pad in a vise and gentley work the stock back and fourth the pad would come off. Once it was off you could screw on any pad you want just like any other stock with two screws.

Thanks for the help guys. I think once I get this rifle back from the smith I will certainly attempt the recoil pad installation on my own. What gets me is that this is a shop of 6 smiths that are supposedly competent in what they do. It's probably the biggest shop (non-chain) in Austin, TX www.mcbridesguns.com and after receiving feed back on this forum and others I still can't figure out why he said what he did. Just for my information, does anyone have a list of a good smith here in the Austin/Round Rock area?

Hey WAFFEN I live in Austin during the summer months and was wondering if their were any good gunsmiths in the area. Unfortantly I have had bad luck with the smith at Red's indoor shooting range the guy is an idiot so dont take your rifle there. My question to you is how do you rate the smiths at mcbrides? I have been needing a smith to do a trigger job on my Savage LE2A but have been leary about letting any nuckle head tinker with it. thanks

Well, I will let you know more after I get my Sendero back, but honestly I was not too impressed when I was there. I feel more than confident in saying they could probably do a trigger job, and i'm sure they can bed a rifle, but aside from these basics I'm not sure, and honsetly I don't have much faith. When I was in there they were all working on older shotguns. My sendero was probably the "newest" gun in there, certianly the only one with synthetic stock and stainless metal.

Call limbsaver
at 360 427 6031
I have been working with them about this problem
I have a Rem 700 VS PSS I have had the same problem . They are looking to to make this some for the H S Stocks .Ask for Marcie an tell her what you need . the more that calls the beterour chanse to get some made . I have take to limbsaver about all of the police Dept that has an H S Stock on there Sniper Rifle . The more call they will get the beter chance we have .
Redbone

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.