no node

djtjr

I sepnt the weekend building up a load for my 6847 using berger 105s and varget the gun shoots as all groups were sub .6 inches @ 100 but in 2 5 shot strings for each charge weight there was never a consistent low node. Ie a .6 charge weight became .4 and a .4 became .6 so everything basically shoots well but not noticiably better or consistent. All are shooters from a certain perspective but there is not that clear shrinking and expansion before and after THE node that I always see. Any thoughts? May switch to the amax as that seems to be easier to tune and or play with seating depth I am 15 thou into the lands now which is where I find they usually like to be for the vlds

I've always thought the benefits of ladder testing or looking for the "node" don't apply until we get beyond 300 yds in our testing process.?

I mean, a load can shoot great groups at 100 and have quite a large velocity spread. But that same group will open up alot vertically at 500 due to the different velocity of each shot.

Do you have a chronograph? If not, I'd load the fastest charge that still shoots good at 100 and move on out to 300 at least. See if there is much vertical in your group at 300.....there shouldn't be if it's the load.

Very hard to get any usable data at 100yrds, 300 starts to show you some and 600 things start to shake out much easier, that plus crony data really puts you on top of it fast.

If you are only shooting at 100yds, a chrono will help.
I always look for a load with the lowest ES in the velocity range I desire.
Once I find a load with single digit ES I do a seating depth test and usually that will put the bullets in the same hole,.25" or less at 100yds.
I then shoot at 565 to confirm.

That's how I got the load in the 6.5wssm I'll be sending out to you soon!

In every case with an ES of less than 10 and seating depth refined at 100yds the groups at 565yds have been very good.
3 shots in 1.25-1.5"

Without a chrono I use Jason Baney's technique and try different powder charges, round robin at 565yds at the same target.
I use a sharpie to color the bullets to identify the different loads and look for the load with the least vertical. Once I find it I further refine it with seating depth.
You will find that seating depth is a very effective way of dialing in a load once you have a good ES.

My mom doesn't live far from you.
If you want, we can get together sometime and shoot when I come up to visit her.

Last edited:
You need at least 200 yards for a ladder test. 300 is much better. 100 yards might work welll for a pump up pellet gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts