No name case pistol

BountyHunter

Was wanting to build a LR pistol and found some unmarked cases, looked once fired.

case capacity looked almost to the 300 ack Imp size just a little smaller. Here is the no name next to a 300 WSM

100_1052.jpg

100_1053.jpg

What the heck, might as well build a gun. So here it is.

Tooley Orion long action in single shot. fluted bolt large recoil lug, extended bolt handle with knob.

Lawton 10 twist at 18 Inches with Holland Radial Brake.

Modified McCree stock. Front part from standard LA 700 and modified rear so you cannot attach the folding part of the stock.

Called Hornady described the case and seems they had a set of custom dies left over on the shelf they thought would work. They did work pretty well.

First range firing was pretty good. Lot of capacity to go and move MV.

only ran the Hornady 208 Amax at 2553 tonight, but pretty sure I can come up another grain or two.

No it is not actually an unnamed case. It is the Hornady 300 HSM (Hornady Super Match). this is a prototype round for the 225 BTHP and the sniper rifle bid for SOCOM that was cancelled and will be reannounced.

Seems this little case likes to run the 225s at 2900 fps out of a 26" barrel! Knocks the hell out of the 300 Win mag. Happens to make a nice switch barrel for the 338 Lapua from Acc Intl.

Dave Tooley has the reamer and built this pistol, I got the 100 cases from him and Hornady sold me the last set of dies from the test run.

Only a few minutes range time tonight before heading off for 2 weeks and then I will up the charges and see what it will do. I am hoping I can get 2650-2700 with the 208s at least.

Anyway, Just thought some might like to look at the pistol. The Tooley action is butter smooth and the rig hardly moves when fired.

I have some 225s coming. They might make it jump a little.

Attachments

• 100_1048.jpg
    100_1048.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_1049.jpg
    100_1049.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_1050.jpg
    100_1050.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
BH,

Very interesting case... what is the shoulder angle and case capacity compared to 300 win mag or 300 ack imp? Looks a lot like a scaled up 6.5x47 Lapua, a case im very fond of...
Is getting brass still possible? or making it? Am very interested... will you be at the match on sunday?

I have the reamer print on the way and not sure on the angle. Do not want to say now.

Capacity is 88 grains of H4831SC I know, filled to the top ust 3 minutes ago. I have got to get some time and measure everything out.

I think it will easily take about 78 gr of H4831SC with the 208.

I know they are shooting 74 grains with the 225.

They have necked it up to 338 and it is within 10 fps of the 338 Norma and 50 fps of the standard Lapua.

Brass is the standard 375 Ruger just necked down.

These were some of the original prototype cases for testing.

Dave Tooley is working with Hornady and Acc Intl a lot. He just spent a week shooting the 225s over doppler to confirm the BC.

will not make the match, leaving tomorrow morning at 0600 for 2 weeks. see you in August though.

I might try and work this one up to bring! :D

BH

BH,

Very interesting case... what is the shoulder angle and case capacity compared to 300 win mag or 300 ack imp? Looks a lot like a scaled up 6.5x47 Lapua, a case im very fond of...
Is getting brass still possible? or making it? Am very interested... will you be at the match on sunday?

Shoulder angle is 30º, case capacity is 97 gr H2O. The shoulder is pushed back slightly. I am surprised that Tooley jumped on this case, he has long complained that the 30 HSM has too much case capacity, I agree with Dave. The only place I have seen brass lately for the 375 is Midway USA.

You need a forming die, but can get by with a 338 RCM FL die for the first step, otherwise you will lose some brass trying to neck it down to 30 cal in one pass.

James

My reading comprehension was a little lacking reading this before... Spent most of the day reading about the differences in engineering majors.. I mistook the 300 WSM casing for the HSM. The other one looks pretty similar to my 300 ackley.

With a 28-30" barrel what kind of velocity can be expected with the 208s? I assume it runs between the win mag and rum?

I really like the 30degree shoulder and no belt... Am still toting with caliber choice when my 6.5 Voodoo is toast. 338 norma looks intestine as well but the bullet prices are cost-prohibitive for me.

Will definitely follow the results you post concerning this cartridge!

Yes I assume I'll see you at the august match then, I will also be going on a trip but back second week of august, hope it's not before then. I bet those 225s will beat the crap out of the steel!!

Howdy...
I know several guys that have played with the 375 Ruger case , in a 30 cal version...
Myself , I shoot a Pistol also ... In 338x375 Ruger ...PTG Reamer throated for the 250 SMK bullets...just a necked down 375,same shoulder and length. Use 338RCM and 375 Ruger dies to reload.Mines on a Neiska action 18" McGowen barrel 10 T .
I am planning on a Elk this next year.

Ray

Last edited:
I saw that case and thought it looked like the Ruger brass. I actually have a copy of the PTG reamer print for the 338/375 Ruger Match designed by Hornady. I got it when I talked to PTG about the 338/375 Ruger reamer that they made me.

I think that the Ruger case is just about ideal for a magnum pistol. Without pushing pressures I can get 2650fps with a 250gr MK from my 18" Striker in 338/375 Ruger if I use H4350. H4831SC was too slow for me. I was running out of case capacity when I hit 2500fps. Unlike Ray though, mine is throated so that the OAL will work in a standard lenght long action Savage. With the lengthened throat I'll bet you could movethe 250s faster still.

Great looking pistol!

The case was originally for a switch barrel sniper package

According to Dave with 26" barrel they are running the 225s aT 2900 fps and good accuracy waay out there. Leaves the win mag in the dust

Recoil with the holland brake is non existant. Small jump and back on target. I was very surprised in that short a barrel

;
BH

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.