No load data for a chosen bullet, now what?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by greggc1960, Sep 20, 2013.

1. greggc1960

greggc1960 Well-Known Member

Folks, I would like some assistance. I'm certain this has been covered some where, at some point in this wonderful, informative, and yes, entertaining site, but I can not seem to locate the answer to this question: how would you go about SAFELY working up load without any published data? I'm wanting to load the Hornady 285gr BTHP for the 338Lapua Magnum in my 338-378 Weatherby, but I have not found a listing for this application. I think Hodgdon listed a 265gr and 275gr bullet, for the Weatherby, but not the 285. I'm having a difficult time with this; the two cartridges use the same diameter slug, and I'm pretty sure that the bullets don't care which name is used on them. Where do I start? Thinking at the upper end for a given powder of the bullet closest in weight. Am I on track here, or all wrong? I would appreciate some insight from more experienced loaders here.

2. Tube Man

Tube Man Member

I have always had good luck calling and or emailing the bullet manufacturer or powder manufacturer. Everyone I have talked to has been very nice and very knowledgable.

3. greggc1960

Well, darn that is WAY too simple!! Seriously, that is what I will do. Thank you, sir. Feeling kinda sheepish....:cool:

4. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

If they don't have data simply run her up from another slug's data of similar weight.

5. greggc1960

Well, I fired off an email last nite to see what the good folks at Hornady have to say. If they should decline to respond before I get ready, I'll try something like what your saying.
    You say similar weight; the closest "similar" I see for that cartridge is 10grs lighter. Do you think I can start at the upper lmit for the lighter bullet? Thanks again.

6. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

The safe bet is to start at lower to mid range for the bullet/powder.

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

8. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

With the small % weight difference between 275 gr and 285 gr I'd say that bullet construction/bearing surface differences will probably be more of an issue between the pills than the extra 10gr load as far as pressure is concerned. I'd simply start 10% down from the top for the 275 and expect to fall a couple of % down at top charge.

9. greggc1960

Good information. Thanks alot, everyone.