"No Lead" bullet requirement for my hunt

dawaba

\"No Lead\" bullet requirement for my hunt

After sitting on the waiting list for 3 years, I'm finally going out to California in September for a combo hunt for Roosevelt elk and mule deer on Santa Rosa Island. The National Park Service calls the shots there and has decreed that the elk and deer on the island are non-native and must be removed from the island by the end of 2011. This is correct as the elk were introduced around 1912 from the Olympic Peninsula and the deer in 1929 from the Arizona Kaibab. This is a shame as both species have done exceedingly well, thus the waiting list for the hunt.
I've been planning on using my 7mm Rem Mag with 160 Nosler Partitions as this load has resulted in many DRT kils on elk, deer, and caribou over the decades. Imagine my surprise when I learned this week that the Park Service has decreed that only non-lead bullets will be allowed on the island this year and forward (shades of steel shot for waterfowl!).
Over my 40+ year career in hunting big game, I have NEVER shot an animal with a factory load, and I shall not break the string now. So.....I need to work up a handload with a "non-lead" bullet.
I've been hanging around this forum for a few years now and have heard some positive comments about the Barnes Triple Shocks, as well as other non-lead bullets. Would anyone like to weigh in on any personal results with TSX or others on elk with the .284 calibre?
I may go with my .300 WM if someone can provide compelling evidence of feild results with the larger bore. Please don't hesitate to recommend a pet load in either 7mm RM or .300 WM.
By the way, if anyone is interested in the particulars of this hunt, go to www.mumwildlife.com and click on Santa Rosa Island.
Thanks guys, Dave

Re: \"No Lead\" bullet requirement for my hunt

We have had very good results with Barnes bullets. Some draw backs are copper fouling and lower BC's than lead core bullets. We have shot 7mm up to 416cal's They shoot good, to very good, depending on the rifle. Long range bullets they are not, just saying drops were magnified out past 600yds. These are your best bet for non-lead bullets.

Dave

Either cal will be fine! Never lost a deer or trailed one over 50 yds after being shot with a BARNES.....140-165 gr TSX in the 7mm or 300 would be good medicine! Just load up for the one you really wanna take.....My fav 7mm pet load isnt big enough for an Elk (120 gr)....but a 300 shooting a 168 TSX is....but its overkill for deer.

Id load for the Elk and shoot deer broadside!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good Luck!

Check out post "721 yds". Once ya use the TSX ya may not go back to the NPs.

Thanks for the input. The 721 thread was really amazing. I bowhunted the Gros Ventre country in 1981 and MISSED a 5-pt bull at 11 paces! My bow has been gathering dust ever since...

Okay, I'm satisfied that the Triple Shocks are the way to go. Can anyone recommend any pet loads for the 7mm Rem Mag
using TSX bullets? Personally, I feel that the 140 gr version may be a little light for elk, and I'm most partial to the 160-175 weights in my 7 mag. I've been handloading since 1968 and promise to start 2-3 grs below your load. My current 7mm is built around a Rem 700 action worked over by Steve Lamphear and sporting a Douglas barrel. It is a walkabout rig but will shoot inside 1 MOA all day long, preferring R-22 and IMR 4831 (and IMR 4350 in the lighter weights).

How bought some load recommendations? Dave

I shoot the 180 TXS in my 300 Win with 81 grains of H-1000 in Wn=in. case's and the federal 215 primer and it shoots in the .3's. I took an Antelope at 777 yards with one shot and it dropped in it's tracks I also have An Elk 6X7 and several Deer as well with great results with the 180 TXS. I have a freind that uses the 160 TXS in a 7MM rem mag and his results have been outstanding as well either calibur will work perfectly for you......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

another option would be the GS Custom. very good bullets. solid copper, very accurate, and excellent terminal performance.

for elk i would go with the 300.

Just to add my .02 here. The Barnes Triple shock are the way to go!! Just be aware they are sensitive to the distance they are loaded off the rifling. With a Stoney Point OAL indicator, you can find the distance that is accurate in your rifle. I found that the Barnes did best loaded pretty hot as well. Not suggesting anything drastic, just they started really tightening up with higher loads. BTW, never had any trouble with copper fouling with the TSX, either.
Factory suggests you seat at .050 off the rifling to start, but try them closer as well as you work up the load for you.
The TSX seems to perform "bigger" then its listed weight, I used the 150 grain in my 300wsm for a 1 shot drop on an elk at 675 yards. Through and through performance.

Good Luck!!

A 140 barnes actually works pretty good on elk out of an STW. Shouldn't have too much less energy in an RM. The 160's are great too. I think you will like the tsx's once you try them. As far as fouling goes if you clean all of the hard copper out of your bore now you shouldn't get any more fouling from the barnes. Plus side of the 140's is that they shoot similar in the tsx's and mrx's. This means you can do the majority of your load work with the tsx's and then fine tune on the mrx's with fewer shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts