No exit! What happened

Iron Worker

Ok shooting a 270WSM into a 265LB boars head 1" behind the ear. Bullet was Nosler 140gr Accubond. MV at muzzel was 3,150. Boar was 26.5 yds.Impact cause it to roll down into a gulch kicking its feet for a minute.Got down to it,it bled a 1/2 gallon of thick blood thru entrance.No exit,guide thinks it hit his neck bone and fragmented.What say you all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It sounds like a close shot and a dead pig. Do you have reason to believe any other bullet would have done better or is the Accubond's performance satisfactory to you?

By the way, I love your sig line. To the point and very true.

Well I wanted to see a dramatic exit wound!I guess I'll have to be satisfied with an instant death.The big thing was lyeing down I shot and instantly I saw this big tusk as the pig rolled over into a gulch. I wonder if it was the impact that cause him to roll over?

Iron Worker,
Dead pig! Congratualtion!
I also like your signature, being the second part
"what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The impact did not cause the boar to roll over. On a 265lb boar a 140 grain bullet at a little over 3,100fps cannot create enough energy to cause much of a push.... After all the recoil didn't knock you over did it?

You need to realize what you shot with that bullet. A boars skull and neck are very thick heavy bone. A tougher 265 lb critter you will not find. This is also tough going for any tipped bullet, bonded core or not at this range.

The accubond will still expand very rapidly and in this tough impact site it does not suprise me you did not get an exit.

I would suspect, somewhere in that boars noggin is a mangled mass of lead and brass that used to be your Accubond.

Appearently, it penetrated enough to instantly dump the boar. Looks like success to me!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have buddys that have used the Accubonds all year and they have told me that in their 300 WSM they have had excellent performance with the 180gr bullet.. If it body slammed that hog it did its job, give it another chance.. Especially if you can't find the bullet in him.. The only other bullets I would consider would be the TSX from Barnes or the new MRX bullet from Barnes, scheduled to be released this spring and go with the 150 grain..Good luck..The next hog shoot it in the exact same place and see what happens next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif?

[ QUOTE ]
The impact did not cause the boar to roll over. On a 265lb boar a 140 grain bullet at a little over 3,100fps cannot create enough energy to cause much of a push.... After all the recoil didn't knock you over did it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know Dave, I agree with you 100% that the laws of physics, calling for an equal and opposite reaction, will tell us that the bullet did not knock the boar over.

However, The last boar (ursus americanus) I shot weighed around 300 pounds live weight and was contacted by a 250 grain bullet out of a .338 win mag at a range of 70 yards. He fell over on his side in the same direction as the bullet was going. I couldn't have knocked him over if I was standing over him with a baseball bat.

In short, even though the math dosen't work out, there has to be some sort of "mojo" that bullets have that is like a big magic hammer. Maybe it is hydrostatic shock. Maybe it is an instinctive reflex. Maybe it is bullet fairys.

I don't know but I'm sure glad it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That beast had armor plating on the sides. Walking up to it.I could see that it was dead(Had my 44mag in hand if I was wrong) so I kicked it in the side plates man I'm glad I didnt hit it there.

Iron Worker, I agree with Kirby's assessment. It was only a 140gr bullet and to penetrate that tough a skull shows it held together pretty well. A Barnes TSX would probably have penetrated further, but dead is dead! Good shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

like they all say... hes dead!

also, with the pigs falling over in the direction that the bullet traveled lets put it this way: if someone hit you in the head with a hammer, do you think you are more likely to fall towards the hammer or the opposite direction? probably the opposite direction.

now as for no exit: i shot a coues yes a lil coues about 110-120 lbs on the foot with a 125 ballistic tip from my 30-06 movin around 3,100-3,200fps MV ( cant remember exactly)at about 410 yards. i hit him square in the shoulder and there was no exit! BUT he didnt take another step! front shoulder was demolished, lungs jelly and off side shoulder demolised also! was i mad there was no exit? HELL NO!!! i was exstacit! he was my first deer and i dropped him!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.