Nixing Ak going to Colorado

backyardsniper

Planning my first big hunting trip. I live in KY and plan to travel and hunt something large had planned to go to alaska but now I am seriously considering Colorado Elk because of time and the ridiculosly inflated prices in AK. Looking to do an unguided unless I can get a guided at a reasonable price. Where do I need to look what areas are good for non resident. Do I need a guide? I am a very experienced whitetail hunter but never hunted elk. What does a beginner need to know before booking or planning an elk hunt so I don't get taken by a shiesty outfitter

If you archery hunt or muzzleloader hunt with irons, I'd plan on doing that. Lose 20 to 40 pounds and start working out like you were training for a half marathon. Get another crazy from KY to do the same and come on out.

Research good areas via the internet and learn your way in. I found a shed from a 360 bull in an area that takes 2 archery points this spring. I saw a 370 bull in an OTC unit a year ago. Number one thing, get in shape and then come on out.

I agree with KurtB - just get in shape and giv'er a try. If you had never hunted or hardly been in the woods, then maybe an outfitter, or if you want more of a guarantee of getting something, maybe an outfitter. Other than that, save your money, do your homework, and come have a fun time.

As KurtB said, if you bowhunt or muzzleload - that is a good option, to guarantee you'll see more game (not necessarily harvest said game, but you should see much more...). Do a search, read some old posts, buy a few books on elk hunting out West, tune into a few outdoor channel shows (not the ones where they are hunting private land during the rut with a rifle - sorry).

There are tons of elk. You may never see them - but that's hunting (join the crowd). Try to find a unit that has reasonable harvest statistics for the season you go, and (my opinion) pick a unit that is at least 60 mi or so away from Denver and Colorado Springs, and that has a lot of public land. You don't have to be 10 miles back in a wildnerness area. If you'll get out/off of your vehicle and walk at least 1/2 mile from the forest service road, you're in elk country. The steepest and most rugged isn't always the best either. You just need to figure out their general elevation, etc. State biologist, and game wardens can be helpful - if you call now, vs 2 days before season, and if you already have an area or two in mind and some specific questions (read: do your homework first and then maybe they can help you fill in the blanks, vs. askin them to learn you everything in 10 minutes on the phone). I haven't been through it, but this div. of wildlife page probably has a few useful things:

Elk Hunting University 

Even a caveman can do it...(but you do need to have some decent gear & knowledge, especially if the weather turns bad or you can get yourself hurt (jeans and a 2wd aren't they best things to have way back in somewhere when it dumps a foot of snow))

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.