Nikon Tactical or Nightforce NXS??

sakofan

Looking to replace my beloved SN-3 for my Remington VS .308.

The two candidates are the Nikon Tactical 4-16x44mm or the NXS 3.5-15x50mm.

LRH Hunting, tactical shooting, BR shooting, etc.

What say you??..sakofan.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sakofan: If the scope you are going to be purchasing says on the tube, made in Japan, Made in USA, or made in Europe; buy it. If not, run from it.

Sakofan. Sorry I don't have any input for you based on experience with either but I just made a decision on a spotting scope and have this suggestion. Make a list of the features you are looking for and a list of acceptable ranges. For example you might want a 50mm lens. That is a fixed requirement. An acceptable weight range might be 16 to 28 ounces. When you have your list fill in as much of it as you can for both of your choices and see which one meets your requirements the best. This might be an indicator not to the quality of the optic but rather to which one was designed best for shooters like you.

I assume that you have looked through both of your listed scopes. I found that this also has a humongus part in which you choose.

Hope this helps somewhat.

W. I have two quick questions for you.

1, What if both his remaining choices are made in the countries you mentioned (I think they are) how would he make a choice?

2, I have read on these fine forums (but not seen first hand) that IOR scopes, which are made in Romania, are a quality purchase for tactical and hunting use. I don't know if this is exactly part of Europe or not. Would you reccomend avoiding these scopes and why?

Thanks, Gents.

I just can't make up my mind between these two scopes. I'm leaning more towards the Nikon, because of the great reviews they have gotten from several people who's opinion I respect.

I like the fact that both have a 44 and 50mm objectives, respectively, and I like that fact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I won't be buying anything for a while...sakofan...

Sakofan,

Hard to help, my nxs is 12-42x56 with NPR2 reticle. It`s a target scope and as such is excellent. Minor issues are rotating ocular to change the magnification and screwdriver required to adjust the brightness of illuminated reticle.

In the 3.5-15 range there are more options if you want a tactical type scope. I really like a FFP reticle in a tcatical type scope which neither or the scopes you want have. That said the new MLR reticle in the nxs would be nice. I think one of the strong points about NXS is the choice of reticles.

Nikon I think is made by Hakko who subcontract and Nightforce by Light(lite) Optical works who do everything in house. It should not matter if everything is built to a spec and quality control is good but I prefer the Light Optical way.

Hope it helps,

David.

David, Thanks for your comments.

I too like a FFP reticle scope. My USO SN-3 really spoiled me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will go with a RFP this time, and laser my distances. I'm not a real hold over guy, because I would rather "click".

I know that either scope will serve me well. Still looking hard at the Nikon.

I honestly like a AO better than a side focus. I'm a lefty, and a side focus is really made for a RH shooter.
...sakofan....Thanks again!

I have never used the Nikon but I have recently aquired two nightforce 3.5X15 scopes and I have been very impressed I aslo like the np-R2 reticle the vertilce hash marks are 2 moa apart and the windage marks are 5 moa aprt besides being able to ues these marks as aiming points they can also be used to range with as I am sure you know that laser range finders do not always give readings The NXS models have internals adjustments fot the illuminated reticle the Benchrest models external adjustments. Once you adjust the brightness on the NXS you are done as I see it. I have also been very impressed with there optics. I have one 50MM&one 56MM objective but have not used them long enough to tell the twilight difference of the two I like the lower mounting of the 50MM objective

[ QUOTE ]
Interested as to why not another US Optics scope?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian, just wanted to try something else. I have always wanted to try the Nikon Tactical ever since they came out.
Then I look at a NXS and love the great glass it has.

The SN-3 is a great scope, but very big and heavy...sakofan..Might try a USO ST-10 next go around.

Sakofan, are you sure the Nikon only has a 44mm objective? I've decided on that scope for my new rifle and I'm almost positive it has a 50mm. I could be wrong though. They may make a different version that I haven't seen.

[ QUOTE ]
Sakofan, are you sure the Nikon only has a 44mm objective? I've decided on that scope for my new rifle and I'm almost positive it has a 50mm. I could be wrong though. They may make a different version that I haven't seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected, Sir!!
The 4-16 is a 50mm objective, and the 2.5-10 is a 44mm. Thank you.

I actually have decided to go with the Nikon. I don't know now if I want the 2.5-10, or the 4-16x. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks to all who commented. I have had my eye,(no pun intended) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, on the Nikon for a while. I just have to give it a try...sakofan....I know the NXS is a great piece too.

Hi; I have the Nikon Tact. in 2.5-10x44mm and like it for hunting being it has a wider field of veiw. You can also get it closer to the barrel with the 44mm & side parallax allows for a pretty small O.D. for the objective. I seem to find myself while in the woods hunting deer with my power turned down all the way to see the wider field of veiw and a brighter sight picture. I use to assume that the bigger the objective the wider my field of veiw would be, but after reading the specs. on a lot of scopes found out the lower the power the wider the field of veiw. Thats what happens when I assume. So if you don't need the wide field of veiw and seem to need a higher power more often, go with the 4-16. I've seen these to have duplex, mildot, & lighted mildot. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.