Nikon scope oddity

sass

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone may be able to help me with a problem I had with my Nikon scope on my recent antelope hunt. I came upon some antelope and ranged them at a touch over 400 yards. 402 if I recall correctly. The scope is a Nikon Buckmaster with 1/8 moa adjustments. I dialed the scope up 50 clicks to put my buck right in the crosshairs, but wound up losing my shot. I then returned the scope 50 clicks down to my 100 yard zero. Five minutes later I stumbled upon the same herd a little over 100 yards away. I got in a steady position and fired a shot at the vitals of my buck. Clean miss. I fired 3 more misses before the herd even knew what was happening and then they were gone. I know I was shooting steady, but for whatever reason my crosshairs were entirely off target? Luckily I had a spare rifle and was able to successfully complete my hunt. I've never had something like this happen before. Any ideas what could have happened?

Non-repeatable clicks. Were the clicks working well before the hunt? That is why most guys who use clicks use the high end scopes with proven repeatable clicks. I have several nikon monarchs and they repeat for the few times I have used them. I pretty much just use the mil dots for close stuff to 800 or so yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts