Nikon question

Ksmirk

Fella's looking to purchase a scope for the 284 Win and was looking at the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, they say this thing has 40MOA of adjustment and I have a +20MOA base already do any of you have this scope and have you tried it out to 1K? I'm guessing that it will take 27 to 29MOA to get me there just hate to purchase and it not get me there. Kind of a stupid question but my B&L on the +20MOA would not let me get a 100 yard zero ran out of down adjustment and they have about the same amount of travel. Oh how are the adjustment knobs? would I need to get the target knobs Model number 6004? this is just a hunting rig no target rifle. Later,

Kirk

Hi Ksmirk,
I have the Monarch 4-16x42 you are looking at. I think you should be good to go with a 20MOA base. I found that even though it is listed as having 40 MOA of adjustment, mine at least has a little more, I counted the clicks from stop to stop and got 240(/4) clicks=60 MOA elevation and little less for windage. I have it mounted on a 25MOA base and I can get a zero at 100yds. Hope that helps.

SY

Thanks much for the info! that makes me feel a bit better about my choice now just have to get the thing ordered. Oh one other thing, the knobs on the scope are they pretty easy to make field adjustments with or would I be better served going with the target turrets they offer? I like to dial in my shots. Later,

Kirk

The knobs are ok, I have the low ones, they track ok and are easy enough to adjust. I have seen the kit they now sell for the hi's and was thinking to get them myself. I have a Buckmaster with the hi's and I like those. Hope that helps.

SY

I have a 284 but I have not used this scope on it. If you can get 40moa out of the scope you should be good to 1k. With a 200yds Zero it only take me 31 moa to get to 1k. The Scope I use on it is a NF NXS 5.5-22x50mm.

I will be testing a Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical scope it seams to have a lot of moa in it.

Mike @ CSGW

Ksmirk: I have this scope as well. Mine has 60 MOA as previous poster stated. As for running out of adjustment trying to zero it in, I did this as well. I attached a 20 MOA base on a 300 WSM with the Nikon. Couldn't get it zeroed to save my life. Posted on here and mulled over it for a few hours. I had realized what everyone had posted when I read the forums. 20 MOA base was installed backwards. I looked closely and sure enough. Turned it around and zeroed it with no problems.

Had the mount on backwards huh? your a heck of a guy to have admitted that I give you props! I had a straight 10X Bushnell on this rifle when it was a 308 and wanted to work on some new loads, mounted my B&L 4000 in 6-24 and I could only get it to go low enough for 6" high at 100 yards that's the main reason I ask that question I really hate to start shimming. Well with the good words about this scope it looks as thought one may be in my future! thanks fella's for all the information. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.