Nikon Prostaff 5= JUNK!

SavageScott

I initially bought a new Nikon Prostaff 5 scope (4.5-18) a few weeks ago at Bass Pro. Brought the thing home, mounted it, screwed-on the sun shade and the scope threads completely stripped out. Returned it, gave Nikon the benefit of the doubt and bought another one. Only this time to have the small elevation screw strip on the top when I tried to switch to the high profile turrets.

I knew K was taking a gamble spending $500 on a Prostaff but this is ridiculous! I've noticed their prices going up and overall quality going down. I'm switching to Leupold. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Might try switching to Vortex instead.. You don't get much of a Leupold for $500. BTW, the most I spent for any of my Monarchs was $430 (4-16x50 SF) but I stopped supporting them once I figured out that the Nikon US operation is in NYC.

I stopped supporting Nikon when they burned me on a set of bino's that should have been under warranty then tried to have the store charge me for shipping. They can keep their stuff. I've got a couple of older monarchs and a buckmaster that are good, but I usually use Bushnell/ Bausch & Loumb Elite scopes.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.......

If the turret screw is stripped, but the turret still turns and clicks when I turn it will it still make the adjustments at the range (sorry I'm not "up" on my scope knowledge)? Will the scope still hold a zero?

Debating whether I am sending it back to Nikon or not. If I can still use the scope and avoid sending it all together I would prefer that.

Also--- have you noticed how cheap the new Monarch's are? They stopped including the extra turrets, and also changed the material they use for lens cap covers (it's now some cheap rubbery crap). All while maintaining or increasing their price. Way to go Nikon!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.