Nikon P-223 3X For AR Carbines, But...

sscoyote

...when I saw how short it was, thought I'd put it on my Ruger Mk III Target, and it worked...great!
When I saw that the erector was rated at 150 SMOA travel with 1/2 SMOA clicks (not 1/4 as advertised), I just had to have it then. Put it on temporarily (until I could get some additional slots milled in the Weaver base to get it as far back as possible, since it's only 3.5" eye relief), and took it out couple weeks ago and immediately noticed how bright and clear it was compared to most of the 2X pistol scopes I've used. Maximized the mount with Burris Zee rings (+ credit card shim). I now have ~150 MOA useable in the turret (measured at 160 total), and 20 more in the reticle. 170 MOA nets me about 650 yds. screwin' around if I want to. Love the rig set up like this so far.

Bore sighted with Bushnell Grid Boresighter (the true reticle zero of which is 1/2 way to the left of reticle's axis and just a hair above the horizontal axis) 1st shot was dead nuts on for a quarter-sized shale rock at 50 yds. (very rewarding shot). Then went out to 175 yds. for the 20 MOA reticle post tip and hit a softball size rock ~1 in 5. Then to 425 (100 MOA from 50-yd. zero), and was all around a coke can that I could make out fairly well through the 3X optic. Then back down to 50-yd. zero and killed the next shale rock on the 1st shot again (return to zero seems very good). Overall great optic as far as I could tell...assuming one doesn't mind 3X for shooting out to 600 yds. with an AR. It's sure great on this little rig though--

X-#1=5.5 SMOA, X-2=14.25, X-plex post tip=20
10 SMOA X-plex post tip windage

always nice reading about the different ways folks use Nikon's scopes. I always say whatever works for you. Great pics and write up.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.