nikon monarch, zeiss Conquest, or Sightron SIII

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by bearhntr, Apr 22, 2010.

1. bearhntr

bearhntr Well-Known Member

Which one is the best for out to 1000?

Which one tracks the best?

Clearest optics?

And best reticle options?

Planning on getting the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 X50 based solely on the fact that it's a German Scope. I also like the Z-800 reticle cause I'll be putting it on a 300 RUM. Anyone have any experience with that scope? Anyone have experience with all Three.

The other models I was considering were the Nikon Monarch 6-24X50 and the Sightron SIII 6-24X50.

2. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

Based on my experience with the Monarch, it's a crap shoot. I've had 3. One was pretty damn good, one was ok and one flat out sucked. I have no experience with the Zeiss but I think the Sightron SIII is the best bang for the buck.

3. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

I have a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my 338 edge,it is a excellent scope.Super clear optics,tracks very well. It would be my pick for sure .

4. canuck4570

canuck4570 Active Member

have one on a anchutz and superb in every way
    zeiss that is

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 X 50 on a 270 Allen Mag and am well pleased. The reticle is the Z-Plex and I click. Clicks are spot on and repeatable.

6. MikeMurf0505

MikeMurf0505 Well-Known Member

ZEISS.
    I have had the Monarch, and sent it back for store credit to get the Zeiss.
    Cameralandny.com had floor models(I got one) and it has been THE best scope experience i ever had.
    1 click and it moves 1/4" at 100 and noting more.
    At 200, 1/2 and nothing more.

Best scope I ever had, I'm old....

7. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I own Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm and Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm.

Zeiss is good. SIII is great.

8. MikeMurf0505

I have never owned a Sightron.
    I HAVE owned a Monarch and it was tough to "get behind". I had to be perfectly aligned to see anything at all.

I recently put 5 shots through the same hole at 200 yards with my Zeiss and a well develpoed handload.
    I have never done that before with any scope/rifle I have owned.

Maybe that is weighing my opinion, but when I click my Zeiss for 1" of movement, I get ONE INCH, first shot.
    The range finder hash marks have perfectly ranged at 100,200, and 300 yards.
    The yardage hash marks are accurate as well.
    THats what I know about the Zeiss product.

9. phorwath

I provided this head to head comparison of my Zeiss Conquest and Sightron SIII in a Post within another Thread more than 1 year ago. So prices may not reflect current prices.

I have since purchased another Sightron SIII. I have not conducted another head to head test with my 2nd SIII against the Zeiss Conquest. To be honest, I will say that my 2nd SIII is not quite as good optically as my original SIII. Still good but not quite as good. So I don't know if my 1st SIII was the creme of the crop, or if the 2nd SIII was sub-par. My 2nd one still performs very well in all respects, but the resolution and clarity of the glass is somewhat less than my original SIII.

Sorry. I know this throws the whole idea of SIII quality up in the air with question marks??? But I believe this is somewhat true of many makes and models of scopes. I've read this quite often with the Nightforce scopes over the past three years. Subtle differences in sight pictures between different scopes of the same model. Some have great glass. Some have good glass. I'll probably buy a 3rd SIII unless the feedback on the about-to-be-released Vortex Viper PST line of scopes is overwhelmingly outstanding and too hard to resist.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  10. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

I know this wasn't on your short list and I have no personal experience with them, yet :), but based on what I have read I would also consider the Vortex line of scopes as well. I believe the new PST is in your price range and have heard nothing but good things. Something you may want to consider.

11. phorwath

The Vortex PSTs aren't yet being delivered to retail purchasers, are they???

12. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

No I don't believe they are.

13. MikeMurf0505

What is the best group you have ever shot with the SIII? I didnt see that "test" result anywhere.

My best so far is a 1 hole group with 5 shots at 200 yards.
    4 for 4 on a life sized wood chuck target, 2 in the face/2 in the chest, at 300 yards.

Have you compared groups with both scopes?

14. phorwath