NIKON BDC RETICLE SYSTEM

Ian M

I have done a lot of work with the BDC, probably more than anyone to date. The BDC is simply a set of four circles located below the crosshair intersection, then a heavy post. There are lots of similar hold-off designs with tickmarks, dots etc. but this is the only one using fairly large circles.

The circles are unique because they enable three hold-off points each - the top met by the vertical crosshair at the upper position, the imaginary center and the bottom, also met by the vertical crosshair but at the bottom location.

All this gives hold-off positions for some fairly long shooting - we were just beating on a steel plate at 700 with it in wind. The circles also make holdoffs easier since you can use the same three locations only horizontally.

They also make the BDC-250 reticle for muzzleloaders. The circles are setup beautifully for shot out to 250 and beyond, depending on the load. I have been shooting this a bunch lately, got some nice dependable accuracy out of half a dozen different rifles and loads.

Nikon also announced the BDC in a sweet little 4-12x42 Laser Rangefinding riflescope. I have also been shooting this one, with the BDC all you need to know is how much your boolits drop (and drift). Only weighs 26 ounces c/w mount. Now here is some info - the same unit is being sold by Bushnell and Burris - they all buy it from the same source. Nikon's is different since they have installed something called IRT or Immediate Ranging Technology in their scopes. The other makes don't have access to IRT. IRT simply cranks up the laser faster and puts it into SCAN, so by the time you have the rifle to your shoulder the little rascal is giving readings. How far, depends on the light and object, but enough for most hunters. Is it enough for most guys here - probably not since the max effective advertised range is 766 yards and we all know that is under optimal conditions. I cannot give max yardage yet, not enough field time on it.
In a nutshell - the scope is not oversized, it is not overly heavy, it has an ON button and a wireless remote, quick focus eyepiece, 1/4 moa adjustments, nice optics, plus the BDC reticle and built in mounting system to any Weaver-style base.
Note to Jon J. - you will be getting some very interesting info on all this soon I believe, via the Nikon pipeline.
You heard it first on Long Range Hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

From what i have heard is yes there are going to put this in both the monarch and buckmaster lines. If this is ture, i just bought a new 4-14 sidefocus w/plex. i guess it will give me a reason to buy another scope.

Ian

The shepard scopes used circles for drop and ranging.
should be a great scope for the average hunter.

CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.