Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff BDC

ownes408

I just put a Nikon 3-9x40 with BDC on my Remington 700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag I'm handloading a 160gr Sierra Game King boat tail spitzer I'm hoping to get good results from this scope and load. I hope that I could get some helpful info or reviews on the scope?

I have 2 of them one on a 270 wsm and the other on a 7-08 and love both of them. they are very rugged and hold Zero. The sling broke on the 270 and it went *** over tea kettle. I cleaned it up and it shot in the exact same spot. Ryan

I have the 3-9x40 on a 223, 22-250 and a 270 for a few years with no problems, have the 4-12x40 on two 300WSM rifles and they are equally reliable and I love the extra magnification. They have no bells and whistles except the bdc reticle but they are great for the money. You will not regret it. For the money they are impossible to beat.

nikon makes a good scope as long as you plan to use holdovers. do not dial them. ive had 3 and none of them tracked even remotly close. also i dont know what nikon was thinking using circles for holdovers. on long range shots they cover entirly to much area. i dont like aiming at a section of a animal. i like aiming at a specific point

We've had Nikon replace both of the 3-9x40 Primos BDC scopes from our 7mm Wby rifles. One was the victim of a fall, and the other lost zero twice (!). Nikon "fixed" the second one after it lost zero the first time and sent it back to us. After some effort sighting it in, it then was 2+ feet high when we arrived at our hunt. That one was sent back recently and replaced with a new one.

Having said that, the BDC feature works exceptionally well, and the second rifle took antelope at 500+ and 800+ yards before the scope took a dump. I would not, however, use them on a rifle with a magnum cartridge. I'm convinced that the 7mm Wby recoil scrambled the insides on that scope, so that new replacement is going to go on a different rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.