NIKON 2.5-10 TACTICAL

Ian M

The Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical is about to arrive and it is a dandy scope. I have been fortunate to work with Nikon folk on the tacticals since Jan. 2002 and have amassed a lot of info on them. I also got to make a number of suggestions as I shared the scopes with some great shooters locally and got info from guys such as George Gardner and Steve Suttles. We have over 2500 rounds through a variety of rifles with these scopes on board.
Nikon has made significant improvements to the prototypes (the scopes shown in Cabela's catalogs etc). as a matter of fact the new production model will NOT look like the early models.
Turrets are now true tactical style - no turret covers and the most "snappy" clicks that I have felt - you can even hear the suckers if you go quickly. The parallax dial has also been re-done and the familiar mil-dot reticle has been up-graded with 1/2 mil tick marks a la Gen ll. Adjustments - 80 plus moa which should be enough for getting the .308 Winchester out past 1000 (is there any other long range caliber out there?!?).
When I am finished the shooting and resolution tests I can let you guys knows more details - let's just say that this is one hell of a scope - I am very impressed. This scope is one sharp, bright puppy that is not too big to hang on a hunting rifle.
4-16 is similar but might come out a little later.

Is Nikon going to make available updated pictures? All I see on their web site is the same old pictures that are in, like you said, Cabela's. Also, did you get a chance to fondle, er, that is, handle the 4-16x50 model? Is it going to have the same knobs/reticle as the 2.5-10x? How many MOA will it have?

Thanks,

Monte

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: milanuk ]

Monte,
Yes, it has identical turrets to the 2.5-10x44 but it has a 50mm objective. Has a bit less adjustment (60+). The 4-16 is tacky sharp, exceeded far more expensive scopes for resolution in my earlier tests. Very nice long range scope.
Later I will try to forward an image to Dave King so he could post it - will compare the prototypes to this pre-production model. There is a significant difference in turrets. Will be shooting them for a while, will get some photos as we do tests.

Understand that SWFA has very good prices, taking orders now. The scope is also in the latest Cabela's catalog, probably more mail-order places. Final production scopes going out in a couple of months, not sure about exact dates.

Got Mil-dots today, will start shooting them tomorrow. Will simply put them into Badger rings and start rotating them through a few rifles that have Near or Badger bases. Had the duplex reticles for a few days but did not shoot them as they are for photos.

New reticle is very slick - easy to read.
Have a few tweeks to suggest, these will be kick-butt scopes and I am looking forward to hunting with them.

Paul,
I have a fairly good optical test target that we use to compare scopes - US NAVY design. Probably more usefull for what I want is to simply take samples out and shoot them at fairly long range a whole bunch (to 1000-1100 yds) and get several guys to simply give their opinions of X vs Y. I ask about apparent image sharpness, brightness, flatness, edge distortion, color "trueness", eye relief distince and how critical it is and any other noteworthy considerations. I create "user-points" for each scope. Did this with all the high-end binocs a while back, Leica, Zeiss, Swaro and Nikon and it works great.

You will like these new scopes - the reticle is very nice and optics appear to be superb.
For what it is worth, the early prototype 4-16 Nikon tactical gained more field user-points in my tests than the 3.5-15 NXS - guys all said that they could see sharper.

LATEST INFO ON THE NIKON TACTICAL SCOPES
These scopes may have sexual conotations!

Took one to a gunshow yesterday and one fellow made the following comment:
"I'm getting a partial erection looking through this thing! I gotta have one!"
His wife was not overly impressed, but she understands guncrazyness.

Took them out to a 500 yard range today, one guy made the statement:
"I'm getting a woody on looking through this scope!" "I want one!"
Weird choice of words describing the experience of looking through the new Nikons.

Not joking, this actually happened. These scopes are impressing everyone who looks through them. On the other hand, maybe I just hang-out with some fairly perverted shooters?!?#?

Getting quite a bit of data and feedback on the scopes, they are doing "quite good". Have shot them on two Win. Stealths and a Ruger target, about 230 rounds of .308 ammo so far. I put them into Badger rings and since all of our rifles have Badger or Near bases, switching from rifle to rifle is no sweat. Virtually no windage change when going from rail to rail, not much elevation either.
What do they say about this is a dirty job...
ian

Ian did you try out the illuminated ones (green or red) or did you just try the standard black? Do you feel the 4x14.5 50mm will improve? The prices from SWFA, aren't bad at all.

If I order one want to make sure I get the best one for the money, really would like the NF but, if I can save some money by getting the NIKON could use the money for more bullets.

Texas
These pre-production scopes are not illuminated but I have a couple of 6.5-20's with the same illumination system. Essentially it is a dial about the size of a nickel across that turns left or right. One direction causes the reticle to glow red, the other makes it green. There are four intensities for each color. Works well but I just don't like the looks of big dials on eyepieces - the NXS illumination switch is in the parallax turret - pull it out for ON and it is neater. Personally do not see the need for illuminated reticles but what the hell.

I am using Badger Ordnance rings, they are available from Brownells (P. 276 - cost about 160 bucks) or direct from Badger Ordnance.com. They are very rugged and simple, I believe the strongest mounts made. They will fit onto any Weaver base or the heavy one piece Picatinny rails.
Another expensive but very good ring set is the Leupold MK4, similar in design and dollars to the Badger and they work fine.

I also use a sleeper - the Warne Maxima rings with and without the detachable feature. I feel that the non-detachable Warne Maxima TPA ring set is one of the best, and they are very reasonably priced. Brownells has them on page 273 for 25-36 bucks!

Lots of people use the Burris sets with the plastic inserts with good success, I have given up on Redfield design mounts (as sold by Leupold, Burris, Millet etc.) in favor of the tacticals as they enable me to switch scopes with precision. I do a lot of scope switching and tacticals are the answer, but they are somewhat heavier and much more expensive.

I have no doubt that the little glitches in the 4-16 will be worked out. As a matter of fact the optical qualities of that scope have improved since the first prototypes, and those early ones were superb. I have shot the two scopes every day since I got them, have over 500 rounds through them now on 7 different rifles.

Are they better than NXS or the Leupold VariX-lll LR Ml's - that is a tough question. They do exceed optically in my tests and they have good turrets. Time will tell if they are as rugged and dependable as those two great scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.