Nightforce Zero-Stop Turret confusion!

SouthTXBowhunter

So, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a Nightforce with "Zero-stop" but I'm totally confused about which "Zero-Stop" turret to choose! And there's one option that I don't even understand!

It seems like there are 3 different "Zero-stop" turrets to choose from: 1- a plain "zero-stop" turret (+$178) such as the NXS 1550ZS model, a mil-radian "Zero-Stop" turret (+$178) and a MOA "Zero-Stop" turret. What increments does the plain old "Zero-stop" turret use?

Which turret would YOU choose for hunting and why?

I'm new to all this stuff so please excuse my ignorance; but when I was growing you just looked at how much a 'click' seemed to move your scope and then gradually 'clicked' your way towards the center of the target, when sighting in your rifle. I'd rather not spend the extra money for the more expensive option unless it's truly more usefull and practical than the version that's $78 dollars cheaper!

Any information and input y'all can give me would sure be appreciated!

Thanks!

Nick

I will take a guess that the plain one is bare so you can have it engraved to your tragectory. The others are the choice of 1/4 MOA or Milrads. Most scopes commonly have 1/4 moa's.

Hope I am correct here.

Jeff

Well, that's another wierd thing about the Nightforce scopes- the MOA turret option is listed (on opticsplanet.com) as: "Zero-Stop 1.0 E and 0.5 W MOA"

Plus, I don't think the standard "Zero-Stop" option leaves it bare for engraving- I may be wrong, though. When I used the word "plain" I should have said, "standard."

I too would have thought a high-dollar, high-end scope like Nightforce would have .25 MOA adjustments on it. And the fact that the MOA option, which is the most expensive one, seems to have (as I read that description) 1 MOA clicks for windage is odd. I really don't understand the turret stuff and there's NO good info or explanations on the Nightforce website. I emailed them and they chose to call me but we've been playing phone tag and I still havn't been able to talk to their tech guy. That's why I'm asking here.

Last edited:
Yeah , I am sure now I was incorrect on that, standard should be 1/4 moa turrets. That is what both of mine have. To answer your other question I would get the 1/4 moa turrets for hunting. That is what I use and that is what my NF pda program gives the corrections in.

Jeff

Last edited:
Man, I would be SO happy if the standard "Zero-Stop" turrets have .25 MOA adjustments! What I don't get is WHY they would offer such coarse adjustments, in two different per-click amounts on the same scope, and then charge EVEN MORE money for it? Man, what a wierd deal. I'd sure like to find out what it's all about, from someone that really knows for sure.

So, do YOU shoot a Nightforce with Zero-Stop and does it have the 1/4 MOA clicks? If so, do you remember if the model number ended in "ZS" without anything else following it?

Man, I would be SO happy if the standard "Zero-Stop" turrets have .25 MOA adjustments! What I don't get is WHY they would offer such coarse adjustments, in two different per-click amounts on the same scope, and then charge EVEN MORE money for it? Man, what a wierd deal. I'd sure like to find out what it's all about, from someone that really knows for sure.

So, do YOU shoot a Nightforce with Zero-Stop and does it have the 1/4 MOA clicks? If so, do you remember if the model number ended in "ZS" without anything else following it?

First, I am sure they offer a zero stop with 1/4 moa turrets. My two are not zero stops. One has a custom milled base that when sighted in is 3 moa off bottom. The other we used a 40 moa base and it is 10 moa or one turn off bottom. The zero stop is a great option, but not always necessary.

Jeff

For turrets I would use ¼ MOA per click because I am an old construction worker and understand this unit of measurement better than Mil Radian's. I think that 1 MOA per click is too much adjustment for LRH. Either MOA's or Mil Rad's will work. It is about what you feel comfortable using in my books. I would also have both turrets the same for hunting. Someone in LE or Military would probably go with Mil Rad's. There are several good articles on this but I don't know if it is OK to post links to other websites here. Contact Mike at C&S Gunworks. He has a post here on this site called (Nightforce NXS Scopes) under Optics For Sale. Nightforce makes several different turrets. He can answer your questions about Modle #'s and sell you a scope too.:)

Bowhunter,

NXS series scopes come standard with .25 MOA non-Zero Stop turrets. You have the choice to upgrade to the following:( Additional Cost)

• .25 Elevation, .25 Windage Zero Stop
  • 1. MOA Elevation, .5 MOA Windage Zero-Stop
  • 1/10 Mil Radian Zero Stop.
Feel free to give me a call tomorrow if you would like more details or, applications.

Regards,
Ken
208-476-9814, option #2

I left Mike a message and I'm waiting to hear back from him. 1/4 MOA click adjustments in BOTH turrets is what I was expecting until I ran across all these different options that threw me off and confused me. Especially since the Nightforce website doesn't explain what ANY of the options are but you have to know when you place your order. What the hell?

The main reason I want Zero-stop is because the scope will be pulling double duty for a while because I can't afford 2 of them and with the Zero-stop it'll make it a little easier to swap it on 2 different rifles- at last when I am putting it on the rifle that the zero is set to. Plus, it's just a cool feature and helps increase re-sale value, should I ever need to sell it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.