Nightforce website ATACR and B.E.A.S.T

I would have been happier with a 5.5-22x50 in 30mm tube, moar, and a first focal plane. At a price point that was affordable.

The ATACR will have a very small market, in 2nd FP only, I have shot targets out west to 1900 yards with my 5.5-22, I'm not going to replace my current scopes for an extra 200 yards of elevation at nearly twice the price. I see it's use as ELR shooters who may buy just one of these for there dedicated ELR rig. Definetly not a scope I would drop on a 1000-1200 yard gun.

The "Beast" not sure that the graduations on the dial will be spaced far enough apart for something with 60 moa in one revolution. They better have somthing special to compete with a S&B.

The ATACR if in FFP and priced at $2500- $2800 would sell like hotcakes to the precision rifle shooters/tactical comps. But with 2nd focal plane they are pretty much worthless for that use. And they call it "Advanced Tactical Riflescope"
It's not Tactical if it sucks at that application.

The biggest complaint I am hearing so far is that there were a ton of guys just wanting a higher mag (in the 5-25 range) F1. I think most guys would be willing to pay a bit more for the ED glass and coatings but not the 3k plus the BEAST will likely sell for. The ATACR should sell for $2,300 from what I have heard and the BEAST at $3,300-3,700 depending on reticle choice, NF reticle or Horus. I think the ACTAR price point, with the upgraded glass and feature set, will sell well. If they add an FFP option, like you stated it will sell like hotcakes in the tactical competition market and for some of the weirdos like me that like FFP for big game hunting! :D

Scot E.

I agree, I would like to see 5x22x40 or 50, ffp, 30mm tube, ED glass, MOAR at a nice easy price. These new uber scopes are not in my future. Being a marketing man I can understand why they are doing this but they would bring a lot more shooters into their fold if they went the route I suggest.

Last edited:
More light transmission and more elevation range seems like a logical reason for the 34mm tube to me.

34 mm does NOT transmit more light. The light column is already focused by the time it's in the tube. Objective and exit pupil and glass quality are the ONLY variables that determine light transmission.

Glass coatings as well
Jeff Huber designed the prototypes to the Beast over 3 years ago. This was focused on the Sniper/SOF folks who needed a scope to quickly come on target and make adjustments with as much ease and speed as possible. It is an amazing mechanical approach to getting clicks done with speed and simplicity--it is intuitive. That said, it was put on hold for a while when some of the internal priorities and decisions withing the company were "reorganized".

The goal wasn't to make a scope that was just to compete with S&B or the Leupolds, but offer something unique that was so much better that the military just "had to have it"...and I have seen several people drool over the prototypes , myself included. That said, it did take a while to bring it to production and it is on par pricing wise with S&B...it is a damned fine scope. The design and the coatings and glass should bring it on par with anything out there as well.

Just a little history...and my personal feelings are that Jeff would be proud, but he hasn't been with Nightforce for well over a year and a half and the NF crew is carrying on regardless.

Nothing bad to say about the scope, Nightforce or Jeff. Thoroughly encouraged by the new developments.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.