Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review

Len what does that rifle weigh with the scope? I'm thinking of building a lightweight edge hunting rifle with that stock and scope combo. I'd love to know the details of the rifle.
Thanks Tony.

I spent last weekend shooting steel (xp-100 .243 wssm) with the NF SHV to a 1000 yards and was really impressed with the quality of the optics. Much brighter and better clarity than my Vortex 4-16 PST FFP. Razor sharp image, and as I stated in my earlier review, a very precise reticle (MOAR). Shooting was done throughout the day through different light conditions.
We were shooting a mile the day before at a 24" x24" swinger with my 6.5 x .284 that wears the Vortex scope. With the two guns side by side on the bench sighted on the 1 mile target to compare optics, the NF was the clear winner.
Tracking was perfect when inputting corrections from "shooter" app. -It was very easy to hold center and put hits on the 10" diameter swinger we had up at a 1000 yards. I'm looking forward to shooting more long range steel with this scope, and terrorizing rock chucks with it next spring:D
This scope is a winner in my book. gun)

-Mike

I spent last weekend shooting steel (xp-100 .243 wssm) with the NF SHV to a 1000 yards and was really impressed with the quality of the optics. Much brighter and better clarity than my Vortex 4-16 PST FFP. Razor sharp image, and as I stated in my earlier review, a very precise reticle (MOAR). Shooting was done throughout the day through different light conditions.
We were shooting a mile the day before at a 24" x24" swinger with my 6.5 x .284 that wears the Vortex scope. With the two guns side by side on the bench sighted on the 1 mile target to compare optics, the NF was the clear winner.
Tracking was perfect when inputting corrections from "shooter" app. -It was very easy to hold center and put hits on the 10" diameter swinger we had up at a 1000 yards. I'm looking forward to shooting more long range steel with this scope, and terrorizing rock chucks with it next spring:D
This scope is a winner in my book. gun)

-Mike

I was with Mike that weekend and I have to agree, the NF was the winner in clear glass department. I was going to get the Vortex but I changed my mind after shooting Mikes xp100 with the NF on it. Not knocking the Vortex at all. I hit the mile steel with it, but having that little bit of extra clear glass was enough for me to change my mind . Rupe

I'm glad to hear that others are as impressed with the SHV as I was. NF really produced a nice scope for the intended purpose and priced it accordingly.

Geb

Is there any chance NF will come out with it soon with a zero stop? How important is it to have a zero stop in a hunting situation. I'm looking at buying this scope or the BD huskemaw, what scope would be better?

I can live without the stop, but I am going to die if I don't get the NF soon. but thanks to a blown 460ci engine in my truck it will be even longer before I can get the NF-SHV. Sniff sniff

Rupe

I am looking very seriously at purchasing one of these scopes with the MOAR reticle. Should I go ahead and spend the money for the illuminated version? Will the non-illuminated reticle be visible in low light, like 30-40 mins before sunrise or after sunset?

Thanks for your help,
Steve

I am looking very seriously at purchasing one of these scopes with the MOAR reticle. Should I go ahead and spend the money for the illuminated version? Will the non-illuminated reticle be visible in low light, like 30-40 mins before sunrise or after sunset?

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Steve I can only speak for my own expereances. I have and had a couple scopes that had the lighted reticles and I didn't really use them. I looked at targets and steel gongs with them on and I felt that it didn't make much of a differeance. Maybe because of the color of the targets that the black cross hairs still showed up well enough to shoot with. I tried them at dusk and the targets and steel were bright Orange. Maybe against an animals hide it would make a differeance. but I have never had the oppertunity or turned them on at very low light conditions against an animal.
Take it for what it's worth. One think about them is you don't have to use them just becaue you have then.:D

The 5-20x56 model has the ZEROSET feature.

SHV

Now, exceptional precision at extended ranges made possible by higher magnification is available at a reasonable price. While the quality of many lesser variable-power riflescopes deteriorates dramatically at high magnifications, our 5-20 x 56 provides superb clarity, crispness and color contrast throughout its entire range, from minimum to maximum. ZeroSet™ is standard, allowing a rapid return to your chosen zero even after multiple elevation adjustments.

I purchased the SHV 4-14X56 with illuminated moar reticle from LRH and had the opportunity to compare it to one of my Leupold 4.5-14X50 with illuminated mildot reticle while hunting deer last weekend. I took two rifles with these scopes to my box blind and did the comparison under low light conditions the last fifteen minutes of legal shooting hours. We are allowed to hunt 30 minutes after sundown and that particular evening was cloudy with little ambient light available. I was spotting deer from 200 to 600 yards with my 8.5x42 Swarovsky EL binoculars and using the two scoped rifles to determine if any were shooters. The NF definitely gathered more light than the Leupold and offered a clearer image than the Leupold. I did my comparison with both scopes set on the same power of magnification. My biggest disappointment came when I illuminated the center of the crosshairs of both scopes. The NF flooded the image with too much illumination, even on the lowest setting. The Leupold allowed the image to remain clear and visible with the illumination on either the lowest or the second illumination setting. If I had seen a shooter buck I would have been forced to use the Leupold scoped rifle to take the shot, since I could not see the black crosshair against the distant body of the deer and only the Leupold allowed a low level of illumination that did not blind me. I emailed NF customer service to inquire what (if any) options I have to reduce the brightness of the illumination, but have nor received a response. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

My son and I have new 26 Noslers, I put the SHV 5x20 on mine and I just ordered the Vortex FFP today from LRH today for his, I'm looking forward to seeing the 2 guns side by side at the range. as a side note I went with 1in NF rings thinking the 56mm would need them but I easily could have gone with the low (.885) for the Nosler 48 rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts