NightForce question....

AtownBcat

I will be making my first nightforce purchase on monday. As of right now im going with a 5.5-22x50 with a mil dot rec, mil rad turrets and zero stop. I am still completly new to long range shooting and hunting so i want to make sure that now one had a problem with this set up. I have never learned MOA adjustment so i wont have to "relearn" anything. I was a little worried about the Mil Dot Rec being to busy, but mike said that he thought it would work great for shots where there was no time to make turret adjustments. Also can you have "to much" magnification lets say the (i believe) 8-32? I want to be able to shoot out to 1000yrds. Please weigh in as i dont have enough experience yet and am relying on your opinions and experience....no pressure...lol

First off, I think a mil dot is OK, but I would recommend an MOA based reticle and turrets. The math is a whole lot easier.

On magnification, I have a 5.5x22x50 and for me it is very tight on the low end for hunting in close quarters. If I had to do it again, I might go with 3.5x15. But... the 22 high end is nice for paper shooting and smaller distant crttiers and rock shooting.

Hope that helps.

-MR

MR...you have been a big help on my other questions.
Why is the MOA an easier way of doing things?

The NXS mil dot reticule is excellent IMHO. Instead of solid dot the NXS has see through circles, coupled with a mill turret you are set to go 10 power is enough for 1,000 in fact I also like 3.5X15 and 4X16 power for hunting to 1K and a bit beyound.

I started out with MOA reticule and MOA turrets, but mow that I have used Mills I find that I like them better.

I read in another thread where one of the other scopes had to be on the max mag. for the mil dot to work...is this the same way with the NXS?

...Why is the MOA an easier way of doing things?

I think the math is easier. 1 MOA = 1.047" @ 100 yds... or for all practicle purposes, 1 MOA equals 1" @ 100 yds, 2" @ 200 yds, 3" @ 300 yds, etc.

A mil rad equals 3.6" @ 100 yds and 36" @1000 yds.

I think in inches and MOA is more suited to that. MOA is also more precise terminology incrementally speaking. Most termionology and references for LR shooting are based MOA.

Here's a good article explaining the two systems...

Mil-dots and Minutes-of-angle - From a Technical Perspective

Here's another good article on mil dots. The author prefers the mildot based on comparison to a multiplex MOA style reticle. The NF NP-R1 or R2 reticles change all that.

How Mil-Dot and Ballistic Reticle Riflescopes Work

[
quote=jwp475;268398]The NXS mil dot reticule is excellent IMHO. Instead of solid dot the NXS has see through circles, coupled with a mill turret you are set to go 10 power is enough for 1,000 in fact I also like 3.5X15 and 4X16 power for hunting to 1K and a bit beyound.

I started out with MOA reticule and MOA turrets, but mow that I have used Mills I find that I like them better.
[/QUOTE]

JWP, why do you like the mils better? I thought you were an NP-R2 fan?

I started out with the NPR-2 reticule and MOA turrets and they do indeed work fine. I also like you thought in inches and MOA and thought that for me that was the best way to go. Finally I got a Mill reticule and Mil turret scope and found that I like that combo more.

Example to get to 1,000 yards with my 338 Lapua at sea level with a Mill turret it take 6.9 mills sighted 2" high at 100 yards. That's not even one revolution of the turret. With my NXS with the MOA turret it takes 23.75 MOA that's 2.375 revolution of the turret. Easy to get lost if you forget to set it back after the shot if you do not have a zero stop.

Mills are divisible by 10 and are easy to work with.
No need to worry about how many inches that you are adjust, you just need to know how many mills that is required to hi the target.

Mills are easy IMHO

I would never mix and match, in other words if useing a MOA reticule then use MOA turrets, if useing a Mill reticule then use Mill turrets

Ranging with a reticule is not nearly as precise as ranging with a laser range finder IMHO

Either mills or MOA will work perfectly for any one, I just like the Mills better since I started useing them

I will be making my first nightforce purchase on monday. As of right now im going with a 5.5-22x50 with a mil dot rec, mil rad turrets and zero stop. I am still completly new to long range shooting and hunting so i want to make sure that now one had a problem with this set up. I have never learned MOA adjustment so i wont have to "relearn" anything. I was a little worried about the Mil Dot Rec being to busy, but mike said that he thought it would work great for shots where there was no time to make turret adjustments. Also can you have "to much" magnification lets say the (i believe) 8-32? I want to be able to shoot out to 1000yrds. Please weigh in as i dont have enough experience yet and am relying on your opinions and experience....no pressure...lol

I would not use a Mil Ret for hold overs if there is not enough time to dial. Just my opinion but there is no way in hell it will be as accurate as dialing your dope. I have several Mil Ret and never use them. If there is no time to dial for me it's a bad shot on game. POA POI is a KISS method. If you are going with a NightForce you are getting turrets that are as good as anyting on the market. If it were me I would use what I was paying for and CRANK THOSE TURRETS

POI.??? POA....??? KISS method???

So would you go with a different Ret?

POI= Point of impact

POA= Point of aim

KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid

He is saying don't use the reticule to hold off for precise shot placement.

I have on ocassions used the reticule to hold off and dialed the turret for more precision at the same time.

Example when I killed the Antelope at 777 yards (Rimfire was ther and witnessed the shot) I neede 12 3/4 MOA of correction. I went to line 6 of the NPR-2 reticule for 12 MOA and dialed in 3/4 MOA for a total of 12 3/4 MOA and driiled her in the shoulder.

MOA turrets and reticle might be good for you imperial foke but it would be mil all the way for Metric people. Only thing was I couldn't get mil turrets on the 12-42x56 NXS.

Mil is realy simple 1 mil = 1/1000 of your distance
Eg 1mil = 100mm(10cm) at 100m, 200mm at 200m, 300mm at 300m

Unlike your 1 moa is and Inch and a bit at 100 yards, 2" and a bit more at 200m.

Like John said he used the reticle and added to it with turret adjustment to fine tune it. But the ret by itself is hard to be as accurate if you fall between lines of MOA or Mil. I guess I get confused easy, I like to dial and hold dead
on:) I shoot a deuplex in most of my scopes and depend on a laser and my turrets. I use a loNt of Leupold M4 scopes and so far the turrets have held up fine. NightForce turrets are as good as they get, and in the words of one rep, "Why do you need a fancy reticle with turrets this good , I would shoot a NP1"

I started out with the NPR-2 reticule and MOA turrets and they do indeed work fine. I also like you thought in inches and MOA and thought that for me that was the best way to go. Finally I got a Mill reticule and Mil turret scope and found that I like that combo more.

Example to get to 1,000 yards with my 338 Lapua at sea level with a Mill turret it take 6.9 mills sighted 2" high at 100 yards. That's not even one revolution of the turret. With my NXS with the MOA turret it takes 23.75 MOA that's 2.375 revolution of the turret. Easy to get lost if you forget to set it back after the shot if you do not have a zero stop.

Mills are divisible by 10 and are easy to work with.
No need to worry about how many inches that you are adjust, you just need to know how many mills that is required to hi the target.

Mills are easy IMHO

I would never mix and match, in other words if useing a MOA reticule then use MOA turrets, if useing a Mill reticule then use Mill turrets

Ranging with a reticule is not nearly as precise as ranging with a laser range finder IMHO

Either mills or MOA will work perfectly for any one, I just like the Mills better since I started useing them

Sounds like some good points, but in my brain MOA still fits better. I am wondering why you dont have cramk as much with the mil turrets... what increments are the clicks?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.