Nightforce Question

chain

I am going to pull the trigger on a Nightforce soon, I just have a question about how they work in a saddle scabbard? Are the turrets in the way? Does the adjustment get moved while ibn the scabbard? I have not hunted from horseback yet but I do have a horseback hunt planned for 09. Thanks

HMM? Your focus gonna stay outa wack it turns pretty easy, but that one is ajusted shot to shot....other dials are pretty firm....I havent put mine in my 4 wheeler scabbord useually sling it on my back(my scabboard is pretty tight)....best help I can give is write down your #'s and what line your zero is on and check it often when using the scabboard.

What rifle you got it on, big small med? Sorry not much help but interesting question, I havent hunted off a horse since 1990.

My concern would be the situation where you are riding along and then there is the Great Wapiti. You hop off HI OH Silver grab the shootin' iron, extend the bi-pod fall to the ground and fire and miss way left and high because the turrets moved. It is going on my 300 win. Thanks

Oh! you mean get it out pop him long ranger, jhonny on the spot, dead eye dingle style? , and pray it aint got bumped? Seems thats how a many a buck met his end...in about 3-5 seconds!!! I know your concerns very well!

Someone talked about putting turret locks on one but dont remember the thread. Or what about a more conventional type scabboard with quick access but more gun/scope friendly than those old leather things made for a 30-30?

Something like those used to attach to backpacks with a zipper for access?

Just more thoughts on it.

Last edited:
I am looking into getting my own scabbard made. That might help, I am also going to talk to my outfitter. I stalked a muley this fall in MT and from the time I jumped him to the time I shot was about 20 seconds. I dropped down and yelled to the guide "Range?" He said 362 and Rusty Martin ( my 300 win) went BOOM. Dead Right There

I can see it now, a smaller version of those door knob covers for child proofing your home.

Chain, I don't see you having a problem. If you do, you can blame it on me I don't mind.

Is there any reason you couldn't have an open top (convertible) scabbard made? Short of a horse rolling over on your rifle what else could you do to your scope that a NF wouldn't already hold up to.

light bulbIf all else fails you could grind the knobby things off your turrets. Then you'd need vise grips to dial a shot.:D:D

I like the grinding idea. You sound like one of my sub contractors. How are things in MI? I guess I will just go for it and not worry, I think it was my last try at logic prior to spending $$$ I shouldn't on a Nightforce. Don't tell the wife.

It won't be long before we fall off the map. I think they'll call it Couln'tquitecutitstan. Things are just OK. We've got some things in the works. Trying to have a positive attitude and hoping to have a good year.

After you get that you'll try and find ways to replace your other scopes. You'll grab you next in line rifle, look through the scope and be like blahhh "this is just unacceptable".

Now that you mention it that is what has happened. I have an IOR on my 300 win now. However, I need to scope a 223 rem I just bought for prairie dogs. The 4.5 X 14 sightron that was on my 06 is at Sightron for warranty. I want to put the warrantied Sightron on the 223 I hoping to substitue a higher power as they don't make the scope I have anymore. I want to put the IOR on my 06 . The Nightforce will go on my 3oo win. How's that for a plan?

This is the scabbard I've been using the last few years. Lots of room. No problem with IOR turrets moving at all, I'd expect the same with Nightforce since they're also fairly short.

My partner hunted with a NF last fall in AK. This was a horseback hunt, he used a zipper style soft case as a scabbard. I kept a scope coat on my Zeiss, which is my usually routine. For $10-15 they are cheap insurance. Plus my Zeiss has hunting turrets, target turrets just make me nervous especially on a horse hunt.
An outfitter's tack is well used, you may not be satified with the scabbard and saddle bags provided. If possible I will supply my own if I do another horse hunt.

I am going to look into that scabbard Thanks. My other target knob scopes have covers.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.