Nightforce problems.???

Jake

Leupold is excellant and you can go to Premier reticles for "custom" reticle if you want.

One item the NF has over the Leupold is the tension spring system on bottom of adjustments to maintain pressure on adjustment movements. Leupolds are known to not move up all the clicks at times and then "jump" when fired. Cecil Tucker does a conversion on Leupolds (like NF) for about $150. Most guys with Leupolds go past the number of clicks needed by five and then come down to try and eliminate this from occuring.

Monte,

The Leupold I'm using now is 3.4x10x40,30mm tube. The Nightforce is 3.5x15x50, 30mm tube. They both have a very consistent eye relief through the power range, with the leupold having about 2.5 to 3" and the Nightforce haveing almost 4" eye relief.

The leupold has been tested and has no decernable shift in POI when the power is adjusted. I haven't done this test with the NXS yet.

One thing I do notice with the Nighforce is that I have to have my head perfect to get a good sight picture. The Leupold is forgiving in that regard. It's not a fair assessment,, as the NXS is mounted higher and the scope dim's are different,, but it's something I find annoying while I'm in the sling.

FatBoy...

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: FatBoy... ]

S1

My mistake.
I thought you were only dialed in to 1000 yds and with 180 gr bullets untilizing the R2.

That's the reason for the comment about you not making the trip to the distance we shoot with that bullet.

The fact remains for me, my targets seemed to always end up "between" the horizontal lines and this is what I didn't like when shooting at the live targets. I like to put the cross hair or dot on the area of the animal I want the bullet to impact into.

I guess it's what you get use to.

Either way is fine and we have been very successful with our way as you have been with yours.
smile.gif

Later
DC

S1

The distance we shoot, I don't have the equipment to set up that show a close up of the actual kills. You can see them drop, but not the up close view of the bullet hitting the hide.

I normally don't set up a camera because of all the other equipment we have to set up.

Butch Keen has a LR video out called "Point Blank" (a very good one) and has the equipment to show the kills out quite far along with the wash or vapor trail of the bullet going right in. I think the video cost about $25.00.

He is in the process of making another and ask me to get involved. Boyd Heaton (on this forum)is doing some video work for him also.

In your explanation concerning the long shot and the General--My response---You can't tell a General anything, they know it all don't they??.
grin.gif

Remember, there was a General killed with a "muzzle loader" during the Civil War at 1000 yds.---I held that muzzle loader in my hands many years ago.

Later
DC

Fatboy,

I guess what I was looking at was the 8.5-25x50mm LR Leupold vs the 5.5-22x56mm NXS. The numbers are listed at 3.6-4.4" eye relief for the LR, and a constant 3.74" for the NXS. That almost one inch change in eye relief seems like about three when I was having to crawl the stock for a decent sight picture.

I know kind of what you mean w/ the image on the Nightforce. It seemed like it was either there, or it wasn't. The LR was more forgiving, but I found myself spending a lot of time trying to make sure there wasn't a bit more 'shadow' on one side than on the other.

Hopefully tax time will provide a small windfall, enough to help put a NXS on my varmint rifle. The 1/8MOA clicks on the Sightron are ok, but the 7.5MOA/revolution thing is bugging me a *lot*.

Thanks,

Monte

S1

Our longrange kills have been well documented and witnessed by quite a few people.

The longest for me is 2100 yards on elk and several other elk from 1100 to 1450 yds. Deer from 1000 to 1750 yds while LR hunting over many years and in different States.

Just helped Ray Romain get his Buck in Colorado at 1800 yards. He had never killed any past 500 yards before.

As you said---We push the envelope
smile.gif
and that's why we are all on this forum called Longrange hunting.

My wife and I are just waiting out the storm here in North Central PA so we can set up the LR equipment and start glassing with the Bigeyes. 5" of snow has fallen so far today.
That in itself makes for great LR hunting.

Later and Good hunting
DC

.. Mrs. Sandy says she knows fer a fact that I'm gonna end up with both of these scopes,anyways.. Hehehe..
.. I will say this about my current Leupold.. When cranking the target knobs, I have to make sure I come at the destination from the same direction every time or I get POI shift.. "Up to it and Right at it" are my little catch phrases for remembering which direction to crank'em.. While it's an annoying thing it's easily enough compensated for when it's a known issue.. Still it's somewhat aggravating for this level of scope.. Does this condition exist with the NF also.??
.. One thing I have noticed missing during this little discussion is the mention of any other scope/reticle combinations.. Does this mean that these two are the choices for LR shooting/hunting.?? Inquiring minds wanna know.!! JiNC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.