nightforce nxs?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by matt_3479, Jun 24, 2012.

1. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

Im going too be picking up a Nightforce NXS in the next couple weeks to go on top of my remington 700 sendero 300. win mag i think. IS there any other scope you would suggest? im pretty set on a nightforce at the moment, i just dont know which size weather the 3.5-15 is better for me of the 5.5-22 is better for me. the rifle will be uesed for long range hunting purposes, out too mainly 800 yards. i know once i take it that far i will want to test it on targets past that until the limits of my gun. what scope do you suggst

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Nightforce NXS 5.5~22X56 .25 MOA turrets, NP-R1 reticle and zero stop. Mount it with a 20 MOA Nightforce rail base and set of the NF 1.00 ultra light rings. Had combo to beat, and will work for you for years to come on about any long range rifle.

Jeff

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

OP, the NightForce is a great scope. Are there other options? Sure but you had better get out your checkbook. USO is a sweet rig, but used prices are ~2k w/ new approaching and even exceeding 3k (model depending of course). S&B is highly regarded as "top tier", at 3k ea.

Suddenly the 1700-2k for the NF doesn't sound that bad:D I too would recommend the 5.5x22 w/NP-R1. Although I am running the NP-R2, it's ok but the retical of the -R1 might be better. The ZS is a great tool as is the HS, both have their merits at an increase in $$. Looking back now, ZS before HS...

BROZ- Out of curiousity, why the 56mm objective?

4. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Im with Broz. That's a tough combo to beat. For the money, Nightforce is hard to beat.

5. TXshooter

TXshooter Well-Known Member

The 5.5x22-56 w/ np-r1 is the scope I'm saving my pennies for. Will be putting it on new 338 Norma. Night force is the way to go.

6. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Good question... Not trying to be smart but I guess I ask myself,, why not? After owning many of both the 50 and 56's, I can't say I see a lot of difference. The 50 is a bit smaller, but I really have never noticed the difference while packing them or putting them in a case. I feel there are more issues pertaining to mounting them too high. In other words, use the correct height rings and 1/2 of the size of the larger bell will go un-noticed, maybe all of it. The 56 is suppose to have a little better low light capabilities. If I was going for a new NXS I would simply buy the 56 just in case it did bring something to the table once in a while. But at the same time I would not pass up a deal on a used 50mm just bcause of the bell size.

Jeff

7. RTK

RTK Well-Known Member

Recently purchased the 5.5x22-50 MOAR reticle, decided against the 56 obj because of shear size. The new MOAR is really nice and similar to their other moa reticle but slightly improved in appearance. It's a little heavy compared to some others, but with weight comes durability

8. TXshooter

TXshooter Well-Known Member

I agree and will add that the 50 and 56 are the same price so why not get the 56

9. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

No worries Jeff, my question was basic curiousity. I've never ran the 56's so I was thinking: "hey, maybe he's on to something :rolleyes:?" I think your post about proper ring height was spot on. An adjustable cheek piece is helpful too:D

10. silvertip44

silvertip44 Well-Known Member

The 56 is simply just too big. My 50s are tight in the scabbards.

11. Catwhacker

Catwhacker Well-Known Member

I'm waiting on a 5.5-22x56 ZS HS with MOAR to put on my 7mm rem mag sendero. I have that scope with the npr1 on a POF USA 6.5 creedmoor. That is my first NF & I can't get my other rifles swapped out to NF quick enough. I have TRULY been impressed with the one I have

12. Alycidon

Alycidon Active Member

If you only want it for good light shots then the 50mm is fine. I use a 5.5.x 22 x 50 with NP2DD. Lots of low light work then look at S&B and Ziess Victory but much more money. I have never felt the need for more than 50mm.

When comparing images some while ago with a friends 56mm Ziess binos against my older 42mm then the only difference I noticed was a bigger wider image.

A

13. window licker

window licker Well-Known Member

I have three of them two 5.5-22x50 and a 3.5-15x56 I prefer the 3.5-15 on my hunting rifle

14. Alycidon

Alycidon Active Member

98% of the time my scopes are set on 7x - 8x for field work. I do very very little long range stuff but do have the magnification and reticule if I want to.

I find a big field of view is pretty important when trying to shoot predators as the time to take a shot is often only a few seconds.

A