Nightforce NXS failure?

Jon2

Dear all

Just looking for some feedback from other members as I think my NXS is faulty.

Basically I have had a 3.5-15x50 model on my custom 7mm Rem Mag which is a consistent sub half performer.

I went to my range this afternoon and the first group of 5 shots was strung vertically in what was approx a 3 inch group.

I then shot another 5 shot string with another load which again consistently hovers around the .5 mark and this went about 1.5 inches.

I then took the mod off and put a 3 shot group in with the same and this went about 5 inches! Again strung vertically.

I then checked all the obvious things and rings and bases were 100% as were the bottom metal screws.

So to complete the diagnosis I am going to put a spare S&B on board but won't be able to do this for perhaps a week or so.

I didn't do a box test of any kind but rather than do that I am hoping my S&B will diagnose immediately.

So basically my question is - has anyone out there had an NXS fail on them in any way?

All feed back gratefully recieved.

Thanks

JB

Jon2,

My brother had his NXS fail on him on a Wyoming hunt last year. He had been putting in for some time and finally drew. He missed two deer due to the scope. This scope has been used to shoot out to 1 mile and has taken game out to 1300+ yards.

After the first incident he sighted in again and missed a second animal. We are not talking misses over 1000 yards they were well under 1000 yards.

He called Nightforce who said send it in, they did a 30-40 point check on it and found some connection had slipped causing the scope not to hold zero.

ANY scope can fail! Quality scopes don't do it as often, and because of that we often get complacent & forget they can & do fail.

I've had scopes by Bushnell, Nikon & Leupold fail & have seen others much more expensive than what I was then using fail. If I travel for a hunt I often pack a spare rifle & scope or just a scope but can thankfully say I've never had to reach for the spare on a hunt.

Nightforce scopes are overbuilt to take lots of abuse & because of that, they rarely fail. Rarely is not never.

Thanks fellas

Cordell, just the kind of info I was after - thank you.

I will put my Schmidt on the rifle this week to test further but I am pretty confident it is the scope which is at issue.

Yes it is rare that this can happen but as has been said it is possible.

Good to know it has happened before as it helps with giving me confidence in my convictions.

Thanks

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts