NightForce NXS 3.5-15x50mm Reticle Question???

HeftyLefty39

Hey guys,

I went and held a NightForce NXS 3.5-15x50mm because i'm considering it for my long range rifle. I am confident in the scopes quality and craftsmanship...i'm just skeptical about the reticle...its the standard that comes in this model and I looked through it and it seems pretty faint. Even with the illuminator switch on the reticle was hard to see on a brick building it seemed...granted the building was only about 50yrds away...but is this a problem for others? Does it get better down range? Is there a suggested reticle from all of you? I want to hunt anything from an antelope to an elk out to 1000yrds and i'm concerned about dropping that amount of money on something I may have trouble seeing at distance...my eye sight is great for those wisenheimers out there...any thoughts, opinions? I would really appreciate it

My guess is you need to focus the it to your eye. This is done at the eye piece and will make the reticle sharp and clear. I own several NXS scopes and have no problems at all. I would look at the RP-R1 or NP-R2, I also Like the MLR.

Jeff gun)gun)

I have 3 Nightforce
great for hunting in open country
but in thick wood useless you loose the reticle in the branches
and the illumination is only good when at dawn.....
and if you take the first focal madel its worst at low power you really have a hard time catching it fast.....

i shoot a 5.5-22x56, try adjusting your parallax, things can get blury if it isn't adjusted. the fine sub tensions of the reticle are good for long range shooting, but can be hard to pick up in low light, but you have illumination.

Ditto on adjusting for parallax and focus. Focus the scope on a white sheet of paper to make the cross hairs crisp and dark.

I like the NPR2 reticle for accurate holdover without clicking.

Randy

thanks guys...I haven't bought it yet but I will soon and I just wanted to make sure i'm not buying the wrong thing or inappropriate reticle

You've all been very helpful...thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.