Nightforce NP-R2 holdover distances for 300wsm

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Jcooper, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Jcooper

Jcooper Member

I need a little help, please. I just ordered a Kimber Montana 300WSM with a Nighforce NP-R2 5.5x22x56. My question is, does anyone have an idea or a table for the 2MOA markings below the zero point for range? I'll sight the gun in at 200 yards and the only compensation I'm comfortable with now is holdover. This rifle is for hunting, so I fill holdover provides me faster reaction time. I'll be shooting Federal 165 grain Trophy bonded Tips. I've looked online and even called Nightforce but no luck. I know I should go to the range and figure this out myself, but I though someone would already have a little insight into this. Any ideas or suggests would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

This might help you get started. You need to chrono your load before you can hope for decent calculator estimates.

Federal Premium - Downloadable Ballistics Application

Then you can plug the factory data (BC, MV) into JBM's constant drop calculator. It'll tell you what range each 2 MOA equals (instead of telling you what MOA each range equals).

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory μCard - Constant Drop

What I get doing it is:
    Zero at 200
    2MOA at 390
    4MOA at 539
    6MOA at 665
    8MOA at 773
    10MOA at 868
    12MOA at 952
    14MOA at 1028
    16MOA at 1096
    18MOA at 1159
    20MOA at 1217

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you are asking. Ihave a NF 5.5-22X50 w/NP-R2. The cross hatches are 2 MOA. Approximately 2" @ 100 yds, 4" @ 200 yds, 6" @ 300 yds, etc.

It's really very simple. You need a ballistic calc for your drops. The best option is to have it in the feild with you, but you can make a drop chart for youir rilfe and load. If you range your target @ 525 yds, go to the chart and check the MOA correction. If it says 3.6 MOA. hold the 4 MOA cross hatch slightly above your POA. You are better off dialing the correction in, but if you can interpolate the MOA markings that will work too.

Mark

4. Jcooper

Jcooper Member

Thank you both for the replies. Both helped a lot for someone learning MOA.

5. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I need to make a correction. That should read "...slightly below your POA."

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Exbal ($79) has a reticle tool that will figure that out exactly for you and even at different powers.

However, as they said you need to know the MV so got to chrono the load.

BH