Nightforce NP-R1 or NP-R2? Help me pick one!

SouthTXBowhunter

I'm buying a Nightforce 3.5-15x56 NXS today and I'm waffling between the NP-R1 and the NP-R2 reticles. I worry the NP-R1 is too "busy" and will put out too much light when illuminated ( even at the lowest setting) - making extremely low light or moonlight shots possible. Are that many lines really necessary? Couldn't the NP-R2 be just as effective by simply puttin the 'x' BETWEEN two lines rather than actually having the extra line?

Please give me some recommendations and WHY!

Thanks so much!

Nick

What rifle are you putting it on? Also what is your expected range?

When you get out past 1000yds, it is nice to have the 1moa graduations, as then you can split the difference and get a very accurate 1/2 or even 1/4 moa hold in most situations.

If your target is easily hit with a 1moa hold, the NP-r2 is a good option. I've shot both and own 2 of the R1's.

I can't comment on the illumination, as I've played with it but not seriously and haven't shot in the dark with it.

As far as being 'busy', a little practice and you don't even notice it.

HTH,
AJ

Initially it's going on a purpose-built long-range AR15 for shooting out to about 500 yards; but once I have the funds to buy another scope, it'll move to either a my .308 or .300 win mag. I would love to shoot out to 1000 but I have very little access to anywhere that I can expect to make that kind of shot. Most of my hunting will max out around 700, at best and typically be 500-600.

Shooting your 300Win mag with 190gr Berger VLD's at around 3000, there is around 1moa difference between 725yds and 750yds. Shooting the 308, you will have at least a 1moa spacing over 25yds a little closer.

Depending on your elevation.

Shooting your 300WM, sighted in at around 560yds, the top post (10moa above crosshair) will be on at around 100yds. The bottom mark (20moa below the crosshair) will be on at around 1100yds.

Out to 600yds, the NP-R2 will work pretty well on biggame on the 300WM, however on the 308 I think you will want a little finer graduation, especially if you are shooting smaller targets (whitetails, coyotes etc.). Beyond 600yds, you will probably want finer graduations regardless of which rifle you choose.

Given the info you've stated, I'd probably get the R1. Especially if you will be shooting smaller animals.

Hopefully someone else will pipe in with an opposing or supporting opinion.

AJ

Depends if you want to hold or dial IMHO.
If you dial, then either is a go - I use NPR2.. if your're holder, then you might want a close reticle.

Given you're looking at 15x as max mag, I'd lean towards R1.. if you were looking at 32x, then R2

Having used the NP-R2 for a while I decided the spacing was fine but the 5 MOA windage marks sure bugged me. Without wind, I will hold over almost everytime. With the wind, I will dial the elevation and hold off more than dialing the wind. I like more user friendly windage values than 5 MOA. If I were going to get a new NF, it wouldnt be the R2. It would be thr R1 or another MLR.

I just bought a new NF and opted for the MLR as I am a fan of the miling system. The Mil system works great with the 308 also. From a 300 yard zero there a countless loads in a 308 that will fall in line with the first second and third mils for 400, 500 and 600 yards respectively. With the new 1/2 mil marks, it is even easier to hit at 350, 450 and 550 yards AND if you look between the full mil and 1/2 mil, you can get down to accurate 25 yard increments all the way to 600 yards.

Below is an example of a 308 load of mine and the MLR. From here you can see how well a mil scope works with 308 trajectories.

308_MIL-DOT.jpg

Last edited:
+1 AJ !

I cant see the point personally of owning one of the best dialling scopes on the market then holding over anyway ?? Each to their own I quess.

I have the R1 and thought it may have been busy, but no it ain't !

Hold " DEAD ON " and kill it !

DUH

If you are shooting to 500 yards w/ your AR15 I would go with the 2.5x10-32 NXS with the R2. I am sure the MOA hashmarks would coincide with one of your loads for holdover. Plenty of magnification for 500 yards., and only 19 oz. Saving for another scope, then I would look at getting the 5.5x22-50mm NXS with the NP-R1., which I have . At first I thought it was to busy, but don't even notice it now. You don't give up much feild of view at 100 yards w/ the 5.5, but gain on the top end over the 3.5 for longer shots,and they both weigh the same. I would not get the 3.5x15, just jump up to the 5.5x22-50mm.

For max range shooting, NP-R1 is nicer. A lot of people don't like busy reticles but I prefer it due to eyes are faster for adjustments than using fingers to turn the knob.

I recommend the NPR1 and I know you are looking at the 56mm but I would recommend the 50mm.

Mike @ CSGW

Having used the NP-R2 for a while I decided the spacing was fine but the 5 MOA windage marks sure bugged me. Without wind, I will hold over almost everytime. With the wind, I will dial the elevation and hold off more than dialing the wind. I like more user friendly windage values than 5 MOA. If I were going to get a new NF, it wouldnt be the R2. It would be thr R1 or another MLR.

I just bought a new NF and opted for the MLR as I am a fan of the miling system. The Mil system works great with the 308 also. From a 300 yard zero there a countless loads in a 308 that will fall in line with the first second and third mils for 400, 500 and 600 yards respectively. With the new 1/2 mil marks, it is even easier to hit at 350, 450 and 550 yards AND if you look between the full mil and 1/2 mil, you can get down to accurate 25 yard increments all the way to 600 yards.

Below is an example of a 308 load of mine and the MLR. From here you can see how well a mil scope works with 308 trajectories.

308_MIL-DOT.jpg
What program are you using in the above picture? does that compensate for not having a ffp scope?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.