Nightforce Exbal questions

grinnergetter

Sooo I'm trying to figure out this program and here is my dilema.
On my preliminary drop tables the system calls for what seems like twice the amount of adjustment that is needed.
100 yard zero
200 yards 3 mph wind from 3 oclock calls for .3 up and .1 right...shot high and right...took adj out of scope and all is well.
350 yards calls for 1.1 mils up and shot for no wind. Hit .5 mils high and we did trajectory validation which seems to fix the drop table but changes speed to 4214???????
Shooting a 22 BR at 3230 fps. 55 grn hornady v max, 30gn 4895

Thanks for your help and let me know if I need to give more info, Grin

Yes I've did the searches and studies all the previous threads.

Checked the knobs, Kestrel zeros, speeds seem to be correct with reloading books, scope height measured etc.

Was the velocity chronographed or guesstimated?

What did you use for BC?

What did you input for Altitude, temperature and humidity?

What did you use for scope height?

Did you use "calculate std. atmospheric pressure" ?

How many shots at each yardage?

Were the conditions, wind etc., the same for all shots at all yardages?

Velocity...3230 (5 shot ave. from brand new CED)
BC..... .255 (from exbal)
Alt...854 ( from local airport website)
Temp...76.0 (Kestrel)
Humidity...80.3 (Kestrel)
Scope height...1.89 (measured per LRH recomendations)
Unchecked box and entered Kestrel readings ( not too sure if I have this correct due to reading about setting Kestrel to 0 for Alt. reference)

5 shots for 350 yards, group is approx 3 inches, all were high and right which is where i came up with .5 mil corrected adj.

Due to group size I dont think wind was a factor. Shot at 3in dot and cross hairs pretty much covered dot. Pretty confident in rifle just not the software. Am using this rifle as trainer for 300WM(Sept moose/bou hunt,gotta be ready.

I cant think of anything else but I'm studying more about the baro/kestrel relationship. Basically I watched Mr. Carlock's video to help fill in info.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Grin

Measured 5.5 inches high to center of group..... 2 1/4 group size.
FPS were taken at 67 degrees so I think the change in Temp should have been taken into account by the software right?
I did enter all of the current weather factors at the time of shots.
Scope is a USO but I have not tested the knobs to be sure they are true.

Last edited:
USO is a good scope but I think I'd still check it just to be sure. Also I think I'd run the test again to see if it all repeats.

I zero at a longer range than 100 yards. A little bit of error in the center of your group at 100 yards adds up at longer ranges. Although I don't think it would add up to what you're seeing.

How did you measure your distances to the targets?

Ok, I will recheck zeros. Ranges were shot with Swaro rangefinder.

You know I bet that is the problem. I shot a 100 yard group and put the group high and right just off the bull. Gosh, I'm gonna be embarassed if that turns out to be it.
Let you know and thanks for helping, Grin

Not embarassed yet. 100 yards required .1 down and .1 left so you are correct that .6 off does not sound right. I think it should be .5

Going to try 350 again and see what happens, let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.