Nightforce compact NXS Parallax?

Topshot

I am looking at getting a compact NXS in 2.5-10x32 and was wondering how much parallax I could expect from this scope at between 400 and 600 yards?

I have had other makes of scopes, where the parallax at these distances make the scope unreliable for fine accuracy. I do not want to wast my money on a scope if it has too much parallax.

The higher the power of the scope, the more parallax. Greater than 10x power is a common practice for scope manufacturers to add parallax adjustment to their variable power scopes. I wouldn't expect much parallax with this scope since it maxes out at 10X power.

The NF company could probably give you a close-to-exact number for maximum 600 yd parallax with this scope if you asked their technical staff.

Porwath,
I was hoping that it would only be very small but a 3-9 power Burris scope that I have shows almost 2 MOA of parallax at 450 yards and this worries me that the NF scope could have the same.

Scopes that do not have a manual means of adjusting for parallax are often adjusted at the factory to be parallax free at anywhere from ~100 to 150 yds. They will only be parallax free at the factory adjusted yardage. I don't know what's up with your Burris. That's almost 9" of parallax at 450 yds. That seems excessive.

Best way to get the best information on the NF would be to check with NF before shelling out the money for their scope. One of their technicians should be able to ID the factory parallax-free adjusted yardage, and also let you know ~how much parallax could be expected at farther ranges, like the 400 to 600 yds you plan to shoot at.

That's the best recommendation I can think of.

Phorwath,

Yes thats right about 9" of parallax. On my 10" gong at 450 yards I can get the Burris scope cross hairs to move from one side of the gong to the other as I move my eye with the rifle held firmly on a rest.

It must be a common problem on the Burris scope as the two scopes I have both exhibit a lot of parallax. One is a bit better than the other though.

I E-mailed Nithforce to get some details from them on there specifications but have not heard back yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.