Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

Jeff,

Great read, you have answered any questions I may have had. I do agree the thinner subtension lines on the floating center would be the cats meow for sure. But sounds like the benefits far outweigh the shortcomings.

Thanks,
Roger

Jeff:

Just got finished in reviewing your review of the Atacr VS NSF and agree there will be advantage with the Atacr for long range low light shooting. How ever I believe dial up it still the way to go.

Great job Jeff, keep up the good work and go out an whack a mutt of two.

Charlie

Jeff,

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this review. Very much appreciated.

You make it clear that the illuminated reticle really does not bring anything to the table for low-light long distance shots ... In your opinion do you think the same is true of the illuminated reticle in a low-light situation at close yardage in the forest? In thick timber at the edges of shooting light, I have always found that sticks/branches all over the place hide the reticle... I'm thinking illumination would help this situation ... ?

Ok Ok, now I need to find an ATACR in stock somewhere. :D

Chad

Ditto on what everyone else says Jeff, absolutely great review and thanks for the dedicated time to do it. Also, no worries and taking photos that way, its a bitch to do with holding a camera in front of a scope---i think they turned out okay.

Randy

Jeff,
You make it clear that the illuminated reticle really does not bring anything to the table for low-light long distance shots ... In your opinion do you think the same is true of the illuminated reticle in a low-light situation at close yardage in the forest? In thick timber at the edges of shooting light, I have always found that sticks/branches all over the place hide the reticle... I'm thinking illumination would help this situation ... ?
Chad

Chad, this is the one part of the test I didn't get to do. You have a very valid question. I want to know the answer too. So here is what I am going to do. In the next few days I will take the ATACR to a heavy pine tree timber. I will go when light is good and again towards last light. Before I go I will adjust the intensity of the Ill. reticle down low in a dark room and remove all glare so it only lights the reticle enough to see it. Then we will know for sure. I also want to see the ED glad in dark timber with no illumination. Then I will report it here.

My feeling is with the reticle giving off any light it will reduce visibility of the target. But I do not want to base this on an opinion, so I will test it for sure.

Jeff

Good review on an awesome scope but the country and wildlife was jealousy-inspiring! You're a blessed man, Jeff. Thanks for the article.

Jeff,

Great review, and I enjoyed participating in the ELR evaluation.

You know, I got to thinking, and checked out a topo map. Our firing point was about 4500 ft el, and the targets were approx 5500ft, and 5600ft. point being that the bullet gained some ballistics as it went up into thinner air.

That might explain the initial .5 moa high shot somewhat.

I did a quick calc on QuickTarget, .810 G1, 2830 fps, range to target 2077 yards. I calc'd it at 4500 ft, and at 5500ft. The difference was right at 1.7 MOA. Divide that in half for an average gain, of about .85 MOA.

Maybe that was in your initial calc, I'm not sure.....just grinding gears.....grin.

Shane

Great review Jeff. I hope to cross paths and get the chance to meet you some day. I am often fishing or hunting in the Townsend area.

Jay

Got an ATACR w/ MOAR on the way!:D

Cabelas just started to carry them and they are still listing both the MOAR and the Mil-R reticle as in stock. Although with Cabelas track record, I am not going to hold my breath until I actually see a tracking # for the order...

can't wait to look through the scope, but feel a whole lot more confident after reading this review. My biggest hesitation was the added weight of the ATACR over the NXS... but it really appears that all of the positives of this scope are worth the extra weight.

The ATACR is a heck of a scope. Bought one and liked it enough to buy another one. MOAR is nice also.
To my eye it is a big step up from the 5X22X56 NXS I have.

Thx for taking the time to review Jeff.

Regards
Kelly

I just received my NF ATACR Scope with the MOAR reticle from Butch's Reloading, a site sponsor. Ed was very helpful and answered all my questions. He was a great guy to deal with and had several more in stock. I had it mounted on my Kirby Allen built 338 LM, can't wait to go and send some rounds down range.

Again, thanks Broz for your T&E evaluation, as it was the deciding factor in my purchase over another NSX!

Broz; said:
...I guess I am just set in my ways and I prefer the finest pint of aim I can get. When I go to 3000 yards with my LRKM, this reticle will be covering close to 4.4".

Jeff

I fully agree with you... :D 4.4" at 3000 yards don't bother me because I don't think I'll ever get to shoot that far... :rolleyes:

Broz; said:
All in all, just allow me to be proud of you, awesome writing and fantastic shooting.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.