Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews - Discussion' started by ADMIN, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Nightforce ATACR Scope Review, By Jeff Brozovich. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

2. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    First let me thank you for all the time, and work you put into this review. As always your review was very thorough, and contained a lot of information for anyone contemplating this scope,myself included. I already own 2 5.x22nxs' with the MOAR and was waiting on your review to decide which to put on my 300. you answered the question I had about the glass which was the quality of the ED glass being worth the higher price tag? Sounds like it will be worth the investment, also glad to hear you liked the MOAR reticle. Thanks again for all your hard work,even if it was a labor of love.:D

3. colohunter

colohunter Active Member

So this was a 5-25X56 that was reviewed, sorry but I must have missed the actual model. Thanks much for a great review. I'm a 308 guy but just bought my first 300wm and am not sure how much scope I need. I was going to just use a 3.5-15X50 which is what I have on my 308's. is this too little glass? Thanks in advance for helping out a new guy.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Yes, the review was on the new Nightforce ATACR it is 5~25x56 senond focal plane. The one I reviewed was in .25moa with the MOAR reticles that is in 1 moa sub-tensions. However they are also available in Mil / Mil as well.

The amount of upper elevation is only relevant to how far you intend to shoot. If you are going past 1000 I doubt you would be disappointed in having the option to enlarge the target further with the 25X. However 15X will do the job to past 1000 for sure.

And you are both welcome, I am very pleased you found the review helpful.

Jeff

5. colohunter

colohunter Active Member

Thanks again, think I'll go with the 25 power

6. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

Jeff, very very good review, i enjoyed it, and not to be too critical but i noticed that on the first page under a pic of the rifle, it had the load data in bold and instead of the 300 grain berger it said 330 grain berger. :D

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I am shooting. .388 OTM Hybrid 330 gr...:D:rolleyes: or maybe my typing skills are not the best...lightbulb

jeff

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Very thorough and well written review! The improved glass is is an exciting improvement. I also glad to see that NF went with the higher gearing on the parallax adjustment. I have always been curious why they chose lower gearing on the NXS scopes. I thought perhaps that the lower gearing gave less adjustment error, but would interested if anyone knows the rationale for either approach.

9. wyomingblizzard

wyomingblizzard Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great review Jeff. Your review has helped convince me to order one for the new rifle Kirby is building for me. Again thanks for all of your great info.gun)

10. CA48

CA48 Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to review the
    optic. Do you feel the MOAR reticle has
    any hindrance compared to the NP-R1 at
    extreme ranges (a mile +) on MOA targets?

Thanks, Chase

11. MMERSS

MMERSS Well-Known Member

Broz,

You definately took the time and effort for a quality review. Thanks for the comparison. I enjoy my NXS and good to hear NF is improving the product. Also good to see those antelope, deer and elk hanging around Canyon Ferry. Special permits are due soon with the either sex results comming out soon! Good luck.

12. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I only shot it to 2077 yards so far. I was able to 1/4 a rock that was 1/2 moa tall and 3/4 wide with no problem. So, I cant say it was a hindrance. But I personally feel it would be of some advantage to be finer on the floating cross hairs. Like I said in the review, I have stayed away from this reticle due to it being thicker than the NP-R1, but after actually shooting with it, it was better than I had anticipated. I also feel the better resolution with the ED glass helps in this situation. One evening I was looking at a rock at 2500 yards and I could distinguish the green and orange colored lichen growing on it. I do like the MOAR after shooting with it, but still pray for a finer point of aim with it some day. I guess I am just set in my ways and I prefer the finest pint of aim I can get. When I go to 3000 yards with my LRKM, this reticle will be covering close to 4.4".

Jeff

13. CA48

CA48 Well-Known Member

Broz,
    Thanks for your opinion. I have just started using the
    NP-R1 reticule on my 338 Allen Mag and after using the
    Sightron mil dot reticule for so long at a thickness of .120
    (if I remember correctly) on my EDGE I can already notice
    the benifits of being able to precisely place the reticule on small
    targets at extreme ranges but it is still just a slight difference.
    Just wanted to hear your thoughts on it. Although that MOAR and ACTR
    combo with better glass keep sounding better and better.

Thanks, Chase

14. Alaska_Seth

Alaska_Seth Well-Known Member

Thanks for a great review, I have been gone a while but I am back for good. Your review was a great introduction back to the site.

Technically savie people, who live the long range rifle life. Good place to be.