night force scopes; bringing it back to zero

new shooter

I am going to by a night force scope-5.5x22x56. This is my scenario: You see an animal out there at 800 yds-you dial up the moa and there is a 10 mile an hr wind, so you dial the right to left moa; you shoot the animal and thru the excitment you forget to set the scope back to the original setting. A week later you realized you never set the scope back, but you can't remember the moas. So what I need to know if there is a company that can install a "lock" that you can dial your scope back to your original setting so you don't have to start at the begining again; with sighting it in again. I understand night force makes it for the military but not for civilian. Is there any company that makes this after market "lock"? or do I need to look for a different scope or is there any scope that you can return back to zero? because I am getting older and memory is bad and it is only going to get worse!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nightforce makes zero stops but last I knew they were for law enforcement only (who knows why).Im not sure of hassle of getting them.There are some authorized NF dealers on the forum that can hopefully get them on for you if you want them.

New Shooter,
I make a small line on the off-side of the turret at the 100 yard zero. Just use a razor knife and make a small mark. Then you just crank down to that line and you line up the index mark to 0.

Not sure when Nightforce can release the Zero Stops to the public. Understand the Navy had them developed for a purchase of scopes, they wanted to ensure the special turrets and parts would be available for their scopes so they got an agreement to limit sales to LE and military for something like four years.
When they are released they are fantastic - should be standard in my opinion since I am prone to losing my way back to my 100 yard zero. Shooting at a coyote at 35 yards with 19 minutes of elevation on only makes him speed up a whole bunch.

This is what I do on my Nightforce. I put a small number on the rear edge of the vertical turret that indicates how many indicator lines are showing when it is on "0" and set for my zero range of 300 yards. The lines on the Nightforce are easily visible and it's easy to crank it down past the fourth line and when 3 lines are visible and I turn it down to the "0" I know it's reset no matter whether I do it immediately after the shot or a day later if I forget. You should get in the habit though, of resetting it to zero after dialing for a shot. I don't worry about a number for the horizontal turret as it's not a problem in going multiple turns like you do on the vertical turret.
414360.JPG

New Shooter, everybody has their own style and what works for them. The way I have mine setup is that both knobs are set on zero. I have used the ex-bal program to determin my drops using the 2moa bars, so I don't have to play the crank game on elevation. As far as the windage I crank. That way all I have to do is glance down to see the settings before the shot to verify all is on zero. It's all in training yourself to a procedure you have set for yourself.

Tim

Newshooter

Last I checked they were like $150.00
Thats a lot of money for a zero set!!
Its worth every penny if your life is on the line or you are checking your scope at night!!

But for most of us just tape the scope setting inside your scope cap or on the bottom of your stock.

You never said what reticle you have or what caliber and bullet, but there are several ways to set up the NPR2

I use a 600 yard Zero and never dial untill over 1200 yards.
I try to make my 10 MOA mark on for 1K and the conditions as known, the cross hair will be on at 600 and the -8 MOA will be good to go at 100.

Just remember the power change will change your reticle, this is very important!!!

your cross will still be on at 600 but everything else changes, say you power down to 11 power now the line spacing is 4 MOA NOT 2 MOA as on 22 power.

When you power down to 5.5 your lines are 8 MOA apart.

Some people don't like this setup but after you start using it you will fall in love with the setup.

CAM

Edit to add You might check this out if you like to have the info handy in the shooting position http://www.allisontool.com/finder.html

I've never used one but thy look nice and you can get blank ones for your own info.

Cam,
I believe they will be a bit more than that price, but I also like them enough to pay whatever since they absolutely fix the problem. Great suggestion regarding the Pathfinders I have them on all my scopes, they are the best way to ensure your drop data is where you need it. Simple and they work. Put an ACI, Pathfinder and a level on the scope, gets pretty busy.

Ian

Yeah, Nightforce just had a first of year INCREASE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Any way I don't have a pathfinder but would like one!!
Took the ACI off!! (have a new rangefinder)
I've got the level but question its usefulness!!

I know, everybody jump on the bandwagon and tell me how good they are!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a very good eye for plumb-straight-level if the cross hair is lined up with the bore, I refer to gut-fill on the crosshair vs looking at the level, one less thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Was out to 2K shooting rocks and never looked at the level once!!! So for me the level might be the next thing to go, and the pathfinder will be tryed.

CAM

cam, the rifle is going to be a 338am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifkirbys going to build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifunder 16# /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif i believe scope will have npr1. aci cosine a scope level lo pro. muzzle brake- harris bipod w/pod loc. this is the first rifle i ever had built.its going to have a lawton m8000 action a 32" mike rock 5 barrel 10" twist sent to abs to be carbon fiber wrapped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif maybe mcmillan a5 tatical if kirby can make it work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif this rifle is a dream come true.kirby said this is going to be a world class rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

New shooter
Sounds like a lot of gun and $$$$$ for a "NEW SHOOTER" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Hope you have lots of fun with it.
Back to the reticle and scope
the NRP1 is like the NRP2 but is 1MOA instead of 2MOA spacing. (twice as many lines in the same space to confuse you)(Why count by one?) J/K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
To plan out the reticle you need to know your bullet speed and drop info or BC to imput to the computer. then see what works best for you!! some zero at 300 some at 400 you could zero at 1000 if thats what works for ya!! you better get some MOA built into the base if you plan to go long. because scope adjustment disappears fast when you stetch out.

CAM

Cam,
Suggest you buy a Pathfinder, then you will wonder why you did not get one a long time ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cam the 338am 32" barrel. 300 smk bullet speed 3250 to 3400 40 moa base. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.