nickel or normal brass

if you neck size only I don't see a difference. The nickel plated stuff is harder but, it sure looks good.
Pistol brass and things like 444 marlin no diff but, I will stick to just brass.
Here is another question, can you anneal plated brass?:rolleyes:

I use some of each... Mostly regular brass though.

I neck-size, and have seen no issues. The nickle-plated seems to last a little longer without showing signs of wear, but that could just be because of the bright nickel plating...

Other than the plating and color, I have no idea what the main differences would be.

One problem with it is case length trimming. You have to break the nickle coating, which is hard, and it will dull your cutters. Another problem it in full length sizing. Lube it very well or it will stick in the die. Large cases take a lot of effort to size also. I stay away from it.

One problem with it is case length trimming. You have to break the nickle coating, which is hard, and it will dull your cutters. Another problem it in full length sizing. Lube it very well or it will stick in the die. Large cases take a lot of effort to size also. I stay away from it.

Very true.

I've got a bunch a nickle plated brass and it's no fun to full length size...you have to lube the crap out of it.

I had a box of factory nickel 22-250. I sized exactly 1 and pitched the rest out. Not for me. It doesn't "feel" right in the die - I had to really wrench on it.

I have worked with both for rifle and pistol, and decided years ago to avoid the use of nickle plated brass when reloading, particularly with rifle casings. I have found that case separation and case splitting is more likely and occurs sooner with nickel cases, proper annealing is difficult, if not impossible, and that the harder surface of the nickel can scratch the dye surfaces.IMO.

I have size Winchester nickle plated cases in .270Win calibre in Hornady and Lyman FL dies and must agree this was an effort. Ended up in the end with dents below the shoulders in nearly 40% of the cases. The squeese was too much. I can never throw away cases. So I bumped out the dents with a minimum load and 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter Bullets. I did not want to use my Redding die set for the reason that it has no vent hole on the sholder and I was affraid of damaging it. So I went to buy a FL Foster die..... I used Redding Wax as with all the other dies above and have also lubed the insides of the necks by dipping the cases in the wax and then wiping off the excess wax on the outside. INCREDIBLE FOSTER!!, NO DENTS and it SIZE WITH EASE!!! I know I would only get a few reloads from the nickle plated cases before they start to give problems, but at least I have a few uses from the 80 cases. To further prolong the usage of these case I will only necksize them in future.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.