Nice evening on the farm hunting.

robbobsam

I was out lamping last night and bagged 20+ rabbits, this morning after gutting and skinning them I decided to try and bag a few of the foxes that have been increasing in numbers on my fathers land. I emptied the guts at the bottom of the valley about 150yds from a hide I had set up and waited to see what turned up.

The muntie was the first to appear, he initially came into sight at 400yds but as was working his way towards me I let him come until he was at 177yds. He got a little twitchy so I decided to put the new Schmidt to the test. The munties dropped like a sack of spuds from a high shoulder shot. (No. 13 this year).

Then as the light faded I saw charlie appear, he was only a young cub and I know there are at least 2 families of foxes with 4 cubs on the farm that I know of so I waited to see if the mother appeared, after about 45 mins the light was making it difficult to even see the young cub anymore so at 340yds I took the shot and watched the fox collapse on the spot.

Nice evening on the farm.

20jguxe.jpg

Hey, nice job!

But what in the world is a muntie? Looks like a small deer..? Are they pests/varmints or a game animal?

Congrats:)

A muntjac is a a small Asian deer that has been introduced into England in the 1920's. They have an open season all year in the UK as they are getting so numerous. They are doing a lot of damage to crops and need culling to manage numbers.

Muntac

They are the best tasting English deer by far.

When Cooked this is what they look like.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.