NF Reticle Help Please

hnts4fun

Thanks to Len, LRH, and NightForce, I am faced with the enviable task of having to choose a reticle for my new 3.5x15x56 NF scope. I'm down to the NP-R1 or the NP-R2 and am leaning towards the NP-R1 for simplicity. I'm way behind the long range learning curve and I suspect some of you may think this scope is wasted on me....but don't write me off just yet.

This year the NF is liikely to see action on my trusty Mauser .270, in Leupold rings [I just ordered a set of super high rings]. I've drawn an antelope tag here in Wyoming and am under orders to shoot a calf elk so I can concentrate on having fun and picking my shots with a great scope.

No time or money for a build this season though I am keeping an eye out for a 7 mag Sendero to jumpstart things for next year.

Reticle thoughts please.

Thanks.

Matt

For long range work, I like the NP-R1 (I have 2 of them).

My next one will have the Velocity reticle for a shorter range rifle.

Congrats again,
AJ

The R1 is busier than the R2 and the R2 runs 2 MOA brackets and is easy to use at night if you ever run it on a coyote rig....

I have one on my Sendero 7mm and it runs the reticle great !

I have 2 friends that are changing there reticles to the R2 from the R1 as they are pushing on in age, they say it is harder to run the finer lines of the R1....

just a little more info for you.

Congratulations on winning the scope. Bet that put a smile on your face.

I don't use a Nightforce scope but if I was going to the NP-R2 would be my choice. The NP-R1 just seems a little too busy for me.

I have the R1 on a custom 300 ultra which I shoot 1000 yds accross a canyon from my built in sidehill benchrest. I don't feel it is too busy for this kind of shooting because I normally have a lot of time to get the shot off. I have a laminated chart made up with the zero distance for every minute of angle. (with my rifle it averages about 35 yds/minute. I am zeroed at 400 yds. so can effectively shoot out past 1200 yds with the setup. It works great. I will probably, however; go to pre set turrets for my custom load, which is better yet. Kenton industries in Ca. will make you some for around $90. The only problem with the Nightforce is there is only 10 minutes/ each rotation so you have to run at least two tiers of numbers on your turrets. Otherwise its a great scope......Rich

huntsfer,

I'm sticking that same scope w/NP-R1 on a super hooty big gun. As stated the NP-R1 is more precise and that's the name of the game.

When your spotter tells ya to make a small adjustment after you have set up for the shot and done the clicks and the target is about to step into the brush never to be seen again, that small precise adjustment can be made almost instantly without taking your eye off of the target. Thus the NP-R1 for me and my eyes are all screwed up. If one needs to see the reticle better, crank up the light just a bit.

HTH.

NP-R1 it is!

Mr. Roy, you're speaking my language. I notice you are just around the corner from me...thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

Hi ,
I used NP-R1 on MY 338edge and LOVE IT!
Very precise and if you miss your target just use hold over for fast shoots.
Plus if you are using Clicks and need more adjustments you have 2 options:
1. you are shooting 1000 yards and you need 24 moa to hit the target. After the impact you noticed on the scope you are low with 1 line (1 mOA). Next step crank another 1 MOA and you are in business again.
or
2. the same distance 1000 yards, you are low with 1 line, just hold 1 line (1 moa) and you are OK.

If you choose NP-R2 will be very hard for hold over (lets get 1.25 moa hold over on 2 MOA division .... HMMMM very hard to believe you will hold the right value.

Just my opinion.
PS. I love MP-8 from IOR and when Nightforce will adopt this type of reticle I will change mine to MP-8 style (1 MIL division with 1/2 and 1/4 subdivision). VERY VERY PRECISE FOR RANGING AND HOLDOVER.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.