Next best trigger

Sperz208

I feel safe to say that most of us would pick a Jewell Trigger first and foremost, and if you would not i assume you have a legit reason not to. My question is what wound be your next best option, Jard, Timney, Shilen, Rifle Basix?

I have various triggers installed on different rifles: Jewel, Timney, Rifle Basix and Moyers. The Jewel is outstanding, and the RB ERV1 on my Rem 700 is great; the other two are good, but not quite tops in my mind. My ERV1 broke a sear connector few months ago. I e-mailed RB same day, and they immediately put a new one in the mail at no charge, with return postage for the old unit. Great service.

IMO, unless you need a trigger that will go from a few ounces to a few pounds, I really don't see an advantage to the Jewell. I do have a Jewell on my 17 Rem varminter, and I do feel it would have been just as good with a Canjar, Shilen, Rifle Basix, etc. If you are going to have a pull weight between 2-3 pounds, any of the replacement triggers will serve you well. From 2.3 -4 pounds, I have had no problems with the factory trigger. True they are not as glamorous but function very well.

I feel safe to say that most of us would pick a Jewell Trigger first and foremost, and if you would not i assume you have a legit reason not to. My question is what wound be your next best option, Jard, Timney, Shilen, Rifle Basix?

This is the order I would pick.

Jewell
Canjar
Old 40x Rem
Timney
Shillen
Rifle basic
Factory triggers

There are other good triggers available buy I have not owned any of them so I can't comment
on them.

The closest thing I have ever used to a Jewell has been the canjar. But they are getting hard to find.

J E CUSTOM

From what i have heard is a shame the canjar is not around anymore. I was trying to adjust the factory rem trigger. I used lube, heat, and very light muscle and in the end the travel and the pull screw striped out, i was only able to adjust the sear. i would have to say it made for a glass 4lbs trigger (just need it a couple lbs lighter). Thanks for all the help guys!

From what i have heard is a shame the canjar is not around anymore. I was trying to adjust the factory rem trigger. I used lube, heat, and very light muscle and in the end the travel and the pull screw striped out, i was only able to adjust the sear. i would have to say it made for a glass 4lbs trigger (just need it a couple lbs lighter). Thanks for all the help guys!

I had a Canjar single set trigger on a Mark V. It was extrememly unsafe and would go off by itself while just sitting still. I got lucky and discovered the problem with no shell in the chamber.

Finally, I took the rifle apart and the "gunsmith" that installed it had a cheesy shim between the housing and the reciever which I removed and then re-adjusted the trigger. After that, it was very nice with no more issues. But, I had already developed paranoia and never really felt safe.

-- richard

I have really only just checked out a timney at a gunsmiths shop and was not impressed. I just knew I could not handle the crappy trigger that came in my sendero, the first gunsmith I took it to would only take the trigger down to 3lbs and that still was not good enough, so I decided to talk to Larry Scott and he assured me I would be very happy with a jewell so I got one and its the only trigger I will ever use. I just need to convince the wife into letting me put on in her gun. When George Vias was still here in Boise I had him work her trigger down but its still not that good. As soon as my new gun gets here my jewell will go in it. happy happy joy joy

Anyone ever work with the Shilen triggers? If they are anything like the barrels their may be something to be said for them.

Anyone ever work with the Shilen triggers? If they are anything like the barrels their may be something to be said for them.

Yes.

They are good triggers , but are essentially a Remington trigger that has been tuned, honed
and set.

I would use them in a heartbeat if I couldn't get a Jewell.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts