newcon 2000 LRF

Ridge Runner

found myself hankering a new LRF, any input on this model, seems 599.00 isn't much for a 2000 yard model, considering the 2500 is 1499.00 and the 25000 mil LRF is a whopping 18 grand. anybody got one of the 2000's?
thanx for any info
RR

Ridge Runner --

You can get the NewCon 2000-Pro model at Adorama for under $500. My understanding is that it isn't even in the same league as the 2500 model (which is a completely different beast).

Here's what I've gathered from reading reviews and such various places (note: NOT firsthand knowledge, just my impression from what I have read various places):

Compared to Leica 1200 models:
Bit cheaper
Lesser optic quality
Overall lesser build quality
Roughly equivalent ranging ability (Newcon perhaps 'further' in ideal conditions, though Leica possibly more reliable in less-than-ideal conditions)
Poorer battery life

I (perhaps foolishly, I'll find out...) just ordered one -- so I'll post reviews once I've had some time with it...

I brought a lrm1500 and it wont read a non reflective target past 100yds, I have tried contacting newcon to no avail. Don't do it.

I have a Newcon 1500. Wanted a cheep rangefinder that would range to about 800 yards. So far so good. Longest was 1169 yards right at dusk. Ranges every time out to 400 but beyond that it has to be early morning or evening. Not worth a crap on a bright sunny day over 400. I'm not home right now so have not tried ranging elk or deer. (For 249.00 its ok from Adorama)
One other thing..... I learned that you need to hold the 1500 really still. The more I used it with a rest the better it would range.

i got a 2000 this spring and so far i'm pleased with it. on reflective targets, it's very impressive. but let's face it, that's pretty much BFD for us hunters. i haven't found any deer running around with a roadsign straped on their back to help us with our finicky rangefinders! i ranged a road sign over 2300 or was it 2400, can't remember, and that was in a light rain. i don't hunt on flat surfaces so i'm only(so far) concerned with ranging in on a hillside. trees with leaves, rock faces, that sort of thing work pretty well. my shooting limit is 1200 and so far i've been able to get readings on stuff out to there almost every time. the surface you're ranging and the conditions, are everything.but that's true with every LRF. i compared my newcon against a friends leica 1200 at 2 different locations and the newcon was the clear winner.i could consistantly range 2-300 yards farther. one tree in particular, i ranged more than 500 yards farther. if i get a long range kill this year, it'll be a great piece of equipement. if i miss, well i just may need something to blame the miss on cause it couldn't possibly be my shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.